Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

8 week trip to Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam in June-August...your thoughts and help please?

Posted by mrnice88 on 25/4/2010 at 21:19

Hello there,

Ive planned a trip for myself in June for 8 weeks and have put together a basic intinerary that I am hoping to use. Ive never been to this part of the world before so any help/exterpise/general honest opinions would be much appreciated.

Im 22 and from the UK. Im quite a chilled out guy and really would rather meet locals and maybe play "takraw" which ive read about recently.

As stated I arrive in Bangkok on 4th June and leave on the 6th Aug from BKK, which the option of extending my stay by 10 days. However, for the last 2 weeks or so i'll be meeting my good friend who i have not seen for 2 years, who left and never came back, im meeting him in Koh Tao. So i plan to spend my last 2 weeks around the southern islands.

This is my intinerary ive got so far, please feel free to laugh, cry or sneeze at it...but any comment would be much appreciated....

4-6 June Bangkok -> Chang Mai(with a round trip to Pai)
7-14 Chang Mai -> Huay Xai
15-16 Huay Xai -> Luang Prabang
17-21 Luang Prabang -> Vang Vieng
22-26 Vang Vieng -> Vientiane
27-28 Vientiane -> Siem Reap
29-3 July Siem Reap -> Phnom Phen
4-8 Phnom Phen -> Saigon
9-12 Saigon --> Koh Tao
? Koh Toa and Islands....

Ive left a couple of days spare to account for lost time etc... but please any suggestions or places you recommend will be welcome

Thanks in Advance

Danny

#1 mrnice88 has been a member since 21/4/2010. Posts: 16
 Send mrnice88 a private message 

Posted by Archmichael on 25/4/2010 at 22:54

Looks like you've hit all the high spots.

However, if you haven't already purchased your air tickets, you may want to reconsider flying through BKK. Escalation appears to be coming ... perhaps by both sides ... in the Red Shirt confrontation in Bangkok.

#2 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396
 Send Archmichael a private message 

Posted by somtam2000 on 26/4/2010 at 13:16 admin

A couple of thoughts:

1)I'd allow a bit more time for Pai - prob at least two more days.

2) How are you planning on getting from Saigon to Ko Tao? to do it overland you're looking at close to two days solid travel, via Bangkok, so perhaps look into flights?

Otherwise looks good.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by tezza on 26/4/2010 at 17:40

Seeing you are on Tao, you could use those spare nights on very nearby Phanang - TRAVELFISH's pages have lots of good areas and accommodation.

#4 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,345
 Website 

Posted by mrnice88 on 28/4/2010 at 20:05

thanks for all your replies, and apologies for the lateness of my own.

archmichael, ive already bought my tickets into bangkok so will be flying into there still, however, i dont plan to stay too long.

somtam, i plan to fly over to Ko Tao from Saigon, as id rather avoid the long sweaty bus journey, although i will miss some lovely views and places, i think i can live with that.

tezza, many thanks for the head up, your blog is brilliant. seems like youve spent a lot of time on it and it shows!

all the best to you all!

much love

#5 mrnice88 has been a member since 21/4/2010. Posts: 16
 Send mrnice88 a private message 

Posted by Lynn2306 on 5/7/2010 at 16:07

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hey danny. So u just spend 1 day in sai gon.
I'm living here so if u wanna travel around the city or need any help I'll be there. My email is anythinglovely@yahoo.com or u can add my Facebook via this email
cheers
Lynn

#6 Lynn2306 has been a member since 30/6/2010. Posts: 18
 Send Lynn2306 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.