Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Cancel my study abroad trip to Thailand? Need info fast.

Posted by marksmb on 29/4/2010 at 10:34

University is thinking about cancelling our trip. Need quick info! 1) is airport in BKK affected? 2) Is Bangkok really a mess...looks that way in news. 3)If we fly into BKK but then leave to go to Kanchanburi, Ayuttaya, Krabi are we okay? Any info about safety of travel would be great. Need it quickly!

#1 marksmb has been a member since 29/4/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/4/2010 at 10:40 admin

Hi Mark,

1) Bangkok's main international airport is fine.
2) A few, very localised area of Bangkok are indeed a mess.
3) At the moment, I'd say yes.

The vast majority of Thailand, at the moment, is totally unaffected by all this. However the situation is very volatile and you should keep abreast of developments.

Generally speaking, our advice is:

"If you don't need to go to Bangkok, then don't go. If you do need to go, then stay well clear of the protest locations and try to spend as little time in Bangkok as you need to. Rail and bus services out of Bangkok are running normally -- at the moment."

Hope that helps!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by caseyprich on 29/4/2010 at 20:58

i've got two different colleagues using our May Holiday (from Shanghai) to fly into Bangkok for the weekend and then head to Ko Samuet and Phuket respectivly.

one of them is nicknamed 'chicken-little' because he always thinks the sky is falling -

and yet he has no trepidation about this trip.

if that helps.

#3 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by ZPeppiatt on 29/4/2010 at 22:07

Where are you based? It might be an insurance issue.

UK, US & Canadian governments are all advising against all non-essential travel to the whole of Thailand.

There's no way a university is going to go ahead with a trip if they can't get travel insurance cover.

#4 ZPeppiatt has been a member since 12/4/2010. Posts: 38

Posted by UpwardSpiral on 11/5/2010 at 00:33

1) don't listen to the news.. it's a tv show, get past it.
2) go to thailand, have the best time of your life

#5 UpwardSpiral has been a member since 21/5/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by bucharest on 18/5/2010 at 15:31

The airport is safe and all the main toll ways to the airport are secure,the areas to avoid are widely publicised and i see no reason why you should cancel your visit to thailand

#6 bucharest has been a member since 7/5/2010. Posts: 9

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.