Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Should I cancel my trip to Thailand June 1st - 13th Thanks for any help or advice!

Posted by violetray on 5/5/2010 at 14:16

Hello!

I have a trip booked to Thailand starting out in Bangkok from June 1st to 3rd then to Krabi and Ko Phi Phi from the 3rd to 6th then Phuket 6th to 13th. Because of the embassy advisorys against traveling, my 2 girl friends are leaning towards cancelling their trips :( I am leaning towards still going and am wondering if anyone who is already there could comment on the safety conditions at the moment??

My friends were also going to be in Chiang Mai from May 28th to June 1st and were wondering about the safety conditions there as well? Should we cancel our trips? Any help or tips is much appreciated! Thank you so much!

Cheers!!
Rae

#1 violetray has been a member since 5/5/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by gondolaz on 5/5/2010 at 14:51

Hi Rae,

I am live in Thailand.
You do net need to cancel the trip to Krabi, Phi Phi, and Phuket. All of place is save. Do not worry about that.
For Chiang Mai it's OK. Do you visit at Chiang Mai district? I recommend you traveling outside Chiang Mai district is better.

Kickoff,
Gondolaz

#2 gondolaz has been a member since 5/5/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by Captain_Bob on 5/5/2010 at 15:50

Regarding the current political standoff, there is no threat whatsoever in Krabi, Phi Phi, Phuket, or Chiang Mai. No threat worth even considering outside of those select areas of Bangkok which are easily avoided. Tourists have never been directly in danger due to this situation except for those who stupidly ignored warnings and went into those no-go zones.

I also live in Thailand (Chiang Mai) and can say there is no likely danger involved in your travel plan (aside from the usual speeding bus or flying coconut). Might want to check about coverage if you have travel insurance but otherwise I'd definitely say go ahead with your plan. In most of the country you would never even know anything was out of the ordinary. Personally I'd shorten the time spent in Bangkok anyway, and spend more time on the islands or up north.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by AbgAcid on 5/5/2010 at 15:56

I live in Malaysia, and will be heading up to Krabi and the Phangga Bay end of this month for a week holiday. And we know these places are as safe as wooden horse.

Dont worry.

AA

#4 AbgAcid has been a member since 28/11/2009. Location: Malaysia. Posts: 162
 Send AbgAcid a private message 

Posted by MADMAC on 5/5/2010 at 17:35

As things stand right now, it's still perfectly safe to travel. The government warnings are overblown. Just don't hang out near the protest areas and you'll be fine.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by violetray on 6/5/2010 at 05:12

Thanks so much everyone for your feedback!! My friends are still feeling hesitant about going as they were most interested in seeing Bangkok and Chiang Mai and they have heard that even Chiang Mai may have some continual safety concerns.

But I am most interested in seeing the beaches so will likely avoid Bangkok all together and will still go on my trip as planned. Unfortunately probably without my lovely friends :(

#6 violetray has been a member since 5/5/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by yosawee on 6/5/2010 at 10:12

Hello dear,
You don't have to worried that much. It's nothing serious here.
Thai people love tourists. Most of travelling spot still safe.
Now our government and protestors are more compromise.
So thailand is coming in peace soon:-)))
Beside lots of tourists concern, every places are cheaper and better service to compensate your fear.
Welcome to thailand:-)

#7 yosawee has been a member since 6/5/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by AbgAcid on 6/5/2010 at 23:13

Well thats too bad Violet, but look on the brigther side of travelling solo. Without you friends as companions , you may have more time to interact with the locals, more chance of getting to know the country better. It will be more interesting, you will become self independant, resourcefull, and have more interesting stories to tell the folks back home how you did it alone.

And you will certainly make new friends along the way too.

Have a good time in Thailand.

AA

#8 AbgAcid has been a member since 28/11/2009. Location: Malaysia. Posts: 162

Posted by AbgAcid on 6/5/2010 at 23:24

[qoute]
Thai people love tourists. Most of travelling spot still safe.

Yes Yosawee, I truly believe in your words. Thai people in general love tourist. Even I as a Malaysian, share the same skin, am always treated nicely once I open my mouth to speak. Thais immediately know I m a tourist and they treat me nicely, kind and helpfull. As on most of my visits to Thailand were on motorcycle, and I had to ask the locals on many occasions for places and hotels.

I presume you are a Thai, yes?

AA

#9 AbgAcid has been a member since 28/11/2009. Location: Malaysia. Posts: 162

Posted by bucharest on 7/5/2010 at 00:34

No need to cancel at all.

Have a safe trip and if you head up to the north east i will take you for a beer or two

#10 bucharest has been a member since 7/5/2010. Posts: 9

Posted by violetray on 8/5/2010 at 03:24

Thanks again everyone for all of your reassurance and positive feedback!!

I feel reassured about going to the beach towns. Would anyone advise against going to Bangkok or Chiang Mai in 3 weeks? I am hoping that your feedback on this post will help my friends make their final decision about the trip...

Thank you!!

#11 violetray has been a member since 5/5/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by Lagoud on 8/5/2010 at 09:49

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi Violet,

Agree with all that's been said above. No real dangers and now that the two sides are actually talking things look like they will quieten down and the streets will be clear again.
It may even be resolved by the time you fly over.
Bangkok and Chiang Mai can still be visited even now. As said above, just avoid the few hot spots in Bangkok.

#12 Lagoud has been a member since 8/5/2010. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.