Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Honest advice - should I go to Thailand in June?

Posted by bluebelle on 14/5/2010 at 05:06

My plans completely avoid Bangkok, except arriving at BKK and flying straight out to Ko Samui and the opposite on the way home.

I'm 21, female, and meeting a friend there and we're travelling together. I've been reading the other threads, but was wondering what the realistic risks are? My parents do not want me to go, but all the info I can get, even British foreign office who are notoriously over-reactive, seems to say it's fine to go if I avoid Bangkok (and the southern provinces etc etc).

Any advice would be appreciated. What are the chances, for example, of a bomb in ko samui or protesters gathering in Chumpon?

#1 bluebelle has been a member since 13/4/2010. Posts: 15

Posted by MADMAC on 14/5/2010 at 10:05

Wait a few days and we can give you a better answer.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by somtam2000 on 14/5/2010 at 10:36 admin

AS per MADMAC - things look to be heating up (again) -- but it may blow over. DIfificult to say at this stage. But even if the situation was to escalate drastically I'd expect the rest of the country to remain mostly safe.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,709
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by arundown on 2/6/2010 at 19:25

bluebelle ..so u still flyin in to bangkok....i ve decidd to give it a go...arrive t bangkok and straight to koh phangan.....!!

#4 arundown has been a member since 1/6/2010. Location: Singapore. Posts: 49
 Send arundown a private message 

Posted by svendj on 2/6/2010 at 21:31

If you still read this: just go, almost everything is ok again now!
really no worries. I'm not there anymore but got into that mess for 2 years in a row, still had no problems with it, even when I was in BKK for more then a week.
Don't think about what they are doing: think about what you want to do and just go for it :), you'll love it!

#5 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Send svendj a private message   Where has svendj been? 

Posted by bluebelle on 3/6/2010 at 15:56

Thanks for all the replies :) I'm still going - flying straight from BKK to Ko Samui as planned, spending first week on the islands, and second week is still a bit uncertain - if there are still no problems we're gonna travel up the coast from Nakhon Si Thammarat or Chumpon to Kanchanaburi (through places like Prachuap, Hua Hin and Phetchaburi) and spending our last day or so in Bangkok, just to say we saw it really, then out to the airport and home. If there are any signs of problems we're gonna stay around Surat Thani and the islands really.

I'm leaving on Sunday - so so so so so excited!!! :D

#6 bluebelle has been a member since 13/4/2010. Posts: 15

Posted by AbgAcid on 3/6/2010 at 18:46

I see your iteneray are mostly on the southern part of Thailand. There shouldnt be any worry. I had just came back from Phang Nga Bay, krabi and Pak Bara. We went on 27 May and came back on 31st May. No sign of af any unrest or tense situation. Everything is A-OK.

AA

#7 AbgAcid has been a member since 28/11/2009. Location: Malaysia. Posts: 162
 Send AbgAcid a private message 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 4/6/2010 at 00:13

Thailand's recent unreast problems are thankfully now under control. The climax was May 19 when anti-government protesters went on a last-hurrah arson spree in some parts of Bangkok, and other groups gathered and made woopie at some of the outlying provincial capitols. Since then however it's been calmed down, dispersed, and pretty much all back to normal. I think you'll find that in reality there's nothing to worry about doing any travels in Thailand.

#8 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.