Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

safety in krabi, phi phi, and koh samui

Posted by carlybee143 on 15/5/2010 at 14:26

hi everyone,

i am meant to be traveling to thailand on june 1st for 2 weeks with my sister. we are staying with friends who live in krabi and visiting a couple of other islands,like phi phi and koh samui. the only time we will be in bkk is when we land, after which we will switch planes, and when we return back to the states. we are never planning to leave the airport.

does anyone have a handle on the safety of the islands i mentioned above? do you think if we are just in the bangkok airport we are ok?

many thanks,
carly

#1 carlybee143 has been a member since 15/5/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by sidewinder on 15/5/2010 at 18:16

The airport will be absolutely fine.

As for the places you list, not heard of anything happening anywhere apart from the small bombs a few months back in Surat Thani (from where boats depart for Koh Samui). The protests are in Bangkok for a reason, the last place anything would happen would be in the top tourist islands

It'll be fine

#2 sidewinder has been a member since 11/4/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 57
 Send sidewinder a private message   Twitter   Instagram 

Posted by tezza on 16/5/2010 at 17:54

I was in the south when the YELLOW SHIRTS took over the airport. There was no impact on the islands apart from fewer visitors after a while.
I was in the Eastern Gulf island area when the present problems were revving up - no impact again.
Only caveat is that airport is not taken over again - I think the authorities will do all they can to prevent that this time.

#3 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,345
 Website 

Posted by Risha on 16/5/2010 at 19:09

The only small attacks that went on in Surat Thani were at a politician's house about 40 kilometers from the boat pier - nothing to do with travelers.
Bangkok Airport is very safe, no worries - and the same goes for the rest of the country outside of Bangkok.

#4 Risha has been a member since 23/2/2010. Posts: 20

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.