Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Urgent! Is it safe to go from Suvarnabhumi to Don Muang ariport

Posted by travbug on 16/5/2010 at 23:11

Hi all
We are looking at taking some transport from BKK to DMK on Saturday, to catch our onward flight. Do you think we would be safe to do that, or should we get a flight directly from BKK?
Thanks much!
Anne

#1 travbug has been a member since 29/4/2010. Posts: 34
 Send travbug a private message 

Posted by idreamofdurian on 17/5/2010 at 01:11 TF writer

Take a taxi. He'll know what areas to avoid. You shouldn't have any problems.

#2 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by MADMAC on 17/5/2010 at 01:16

The last three days things have gotten a lot worse, but the reality remains that violent conflict is still very localized. I am concerned about the vitriol coming out of both sides and the potential for this to really spiral. I agree with Idream. Take a taxi and you should be fine.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by travbug on 17/5/2010 at 01:47

Thanks guys! We're still watching the situation closely, but we'll do that.
Anne

#4 travbug has been a member since 29/4/2010. Posts: 34
 Send travbug a private message 

Posted by idreamofdurian on 17/5/2010 at 15:11 TF writer

The situation sounds really tense and it doesn't look like either side is about to give in. Reports suggest things will get worse before they get better. Definitely keep checking the news.

#5 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by MADMAC on 17/5/2010 at 18:07

Idream
It is really tense. Even out where I live, where there is no violence on the streets, there is seething resentment right now against the government. The things people here are saying are not good. Very not good.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by somtam2000 on 17/5/2010 at 20:05 admin

@travbug If it isn't going to cost the earth to switch your flight to BKK then that is what I'd do. Otherwise, as far as I know the shuttle buses between the two airports are still running, but I'd imagine they're taking a more scenic route to avoid any trouble spots.

@MADMAC Was out with a friend from Mukdahan last night per chance and he said pretty much the same as you -- yet it doesn't seem to be getting much traction in the press so far.

#7 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by MADMAC on 18/5/2010 at 00:51

The reporters are covering the action, and the action is in Bangkok.

#8 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by neosho on 18/5/2010 at 09:22

Same here in Ubon, Madmac. We have had some symbolic demonstrations and tire burning but nothing major....yet. Have a friend in the city that took a picture of a guy with a pickup full of tires at the site just having a friendly chat with a policeman. So I think they could just run amuck should they choose to.

#9 neosho has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 386

Posted by bucharest on 18/5/2010 at 15:42

I would get a shuttle bus or a taxi,i recently did this trip and went along the toll roads its business as usual along these roads and with military security at every turn off/entrance.

#10 bucharest has been a member since 7/5/2010. Posts: 9

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.