Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Cambodian Visa for Khao Phra Wihan (Preah Vihear)?

Posted by karlambach on 31/10/2006 at 05:12

I will be in Sisaketh Province next April and I want to visit Khao Phra Wihan
then. Its on Cambodian ground but best to reach from Thailand. Do I need a Cambodian Visa for that short one-day-visit?

#1 karlambach has been a member since 24/3/2006. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 31/10/2006 at 05:24 admin

No you don't.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,577
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by exacto on 31/10/2006 at 10:06

when i went several years ago, the thai paramilitary troops at the checkpoint about 7 km from the border took my passport and issued me a temporary border pass for the trip to the temple. i wasn't exactly comfortable handing over my passport to these guys, but they were very nice about it. plus, they had guns!

i think we paid about 10 times what the locals did for the admission price/right to cross the border into cambodia to tour the temple. even so, the price was nothing compared to the richness of the experience. the temple is amazing, wandering up the incline of the cliff before it drops off dramatically into cambodia proper.

back then, you had to be careful not to wander off the path, because much of the area still hadn't been cleared of land mines and UXO. i wonder if it is still like that.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,660
 Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.