Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Bangkok airport - transfer to train

Posted by maribsa on 31/5/2010 at 16:15

Is there any easy way to get from Bangkok airport to a train station to catch the southbound train to Surat Thani, without having to go into central Bangkok? We are landing in Bangkok 21st of June, and while people are saying that everything is back to normal, I don't feel convinced that the conflict couldn't spark up again at any time, and want to have a back-up plan. Appreciate any advice you have!

#1 maribsa has been a member since 23/2/2010. Posts: 7

Posted by cybervlad on 31/5/2010 at 22:52

Maribsa, I think it is safe to go from airport to Hualampong train station (main station, located in the center of Banggkok). You can do this by cab or by bus.
By the way, you can fly directly to SuratTani by AirAsia. It's more expensive than train, but you will avoid Bangkok at all (and save time).

#2 cybervlad has been a member since 6/6/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 182
 Send cybervlad a private message   Website 

Posted by maribsa on 2/6/2010 at 18:51

Thanks for your advice Vlad. I know it is safe now; as I said I'm just trying to have a back-up plan in case the situation changes. I also know that there are flights, but I prefer overland travel, and if the conflict should get violent again like right before we arrive the flights might be sold out or very expensive. So does anybody have advice on alternative stations to catch the train, or a bus?

#3 maribsa has been a member since 23/2/2010. Posts: 7

Posted by maribsa on 3/6/2010 at 19:13

Don't worry, I've read the warnings about private buses from KSR. So you mean it's ok to get from the airport to the Southern bus terminal without going through central bangkok? From the map it looks like those places are on the opposite extremes of the city, so it would probably take a while to go there without going throgh the centre. And these government buses, does anybody know how often they leave and how long it takes to get to Chumpon or Surhat Thani?

#4 maribsa has been a member since 23/2/2010. Posts: 7

Posted by ThailandTravelPlan on 3/6/2010 at 23:10

Getting a taxi from the Airport to the Bus station is cheap if in the worst case scenario things get bad again, the taxi driver can take you around any problem spot.
To be honest though since the red shirts surrendered I am confident you will be fine travelling through Bangkok and really have nothing to worry about.

#5 ThailandTravelPlan has been a member since 3/6/2010. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.