Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Which Island/Beach in July?

Posted by ambee124 on 7/6/2010 at 21:57

I'm off to Thailand in July and was originally planning to go to Ko Lanta - but I have been reading that most places are closed and no one bothers to clean the beaches?

We wanted to go to Ko Lanta because it seemed a lot less touristy than other places but doesn't sound so appealing if these descriptions are accurate!

So where could we find an island in the South that's a little livelier (and cleaner?) in July without being heaving with tourists? I'm not to fussed about the weather conditions unless it's solid rain all day!

#1 ambee124 has been a member since 27/2/2010. Posts: 8

Posted by rachelle23 on 8/6/2010 at 11:17

A friend of mine went in Ko Lanta last August 2009 and found there was nothing open, no restaurants open and the beach was so quiet. I'm not sure if July is also low peak season.

Any feedback from last year visit?

#2 rachelle23 has been a member since 8/6/2010. Posts: 20
 Send rachelle23 a private message   Twitter 

Posted by chuckie on 8/6/2010 at 14:24

From August the west coast gets the southwest monsoon, so many business go quiet then.
However, on the east coast Koh Phangan (and Samui and Koh Tao) gets excellent weather then as the gulf of Thailand gets a high pressure system sitting on it.

I'd recommend staying on the East coast of Koh Phangan: Say either Thong Nai Pan Noi or Thong Nai Pan Yai. Both have a wide range accommodation from cheap bungalows THB 500 (no aircon) to expensive hotels.
Another rustic option is Treehouse at Than Sadet. Private beach for THB 500, but quite isolated.

#3 chuckie has been a member since 8/6/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by jeremybrstl on 8/6/2010 at 17:43

Thailand has lots of beautiful beach. There is always a variety on each island if you go looking for it, but below is a quickie summary:

Koh Samui - Large and very touristy (Lamai Beach, Lamai Beach, Chaweng Beach)
Koh Phangan - Haad Rin is beach party central! (Haad Rin)
Koh Tao - Cheapest scuba around and nice small island
Krabi/Railay - beautiful, rock climbing heaven, expensive (Railay Beach, Phi Phi Island, Ao Nang, Koh Lanta)
Koh Phi Phi - gorgeous, small, expensive, great diving
Koh Lanta - large, fairly quiet, Long beach is the best beach
Phuket - busy, loads of package tourists and vacationers (Patong Beach, Karon Beach, Kata Beach)
Koh Pu - very small and quiet, tree house bungalows
Koh Chang - Nice beaches, lots of tourists from Bangkok (White Sand Beach )

For accommodation in Thailand , checkout:

#4 jeremybrstl has been a member since 7/4/2010. Posts: 9

Posted by yogakhaolak on 9/6/2010 at 09:13

You may still be okay in July. The real rain doesn't hit until Aug/Sept. There will be rain in July, but not all day everyday.
Many places do close, but many don't.
If you are worried, then try Koh Phangan or Koh Tao. The monsoon doesn't start on those islands until October.

#5 yogakhaolak has been a member since 1/4/2010. Posts: 45

Posted by idreamofdurian on 9/6/2010 at 13:47 TF writer

Just got back from Koh Phi Phi and it POURED mornings, afternoons, and nights. Weather in Phuket was slightly better. It depends on your luck, but low season is great as it's so quiet. I paid 500B for a fan bungalow on Long Beach, Phi Phi.

#6 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by AbgAcid on 10/6/2010 at 12:44

July?.. Stay awy from the west coast. Instead try the east coast islands. Koh Phangan or Koh Samui. You will not regret it.

#7 AbgAcid has been a member since 28/11/2009. Location: Malaysia. Posts: 162
 Send AbgAcid a private message 

Posted by ambee124 on 11/6/2010 at 00:16

Thanks so much for the replies. From advice I'm looking into Ko Phangan. What beaches do people recommend? Looking for a fairly relaxed place and am leaning towards Thong Nai Pan Yai (Thanks for the recommendation chuckie).

#8 ambee124 has been a member since 27/2/2010. Posts: 8

Posted by yogakhaolak on 11/6/2010 at 11:09

Thong Nai Pan is the best place to be on Koh Phangan.

#9 yogakhaolak has been a member since 1/4/2010. Posts: 45

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.