Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Trains Bangkok to Chumphon

Posted by duanea on 11/6/2010 at 21:26

I am flying into Bangkok on 19th June at 6.40am and want to get the train to Chumphon. I was planning on just going to the station when I arrived and booking tickets but I've read that you cant buy tickets on the day and the trains will be booked up. Have I left it too late?

#1 duanea has been a member since 2/5/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by Tilapia on 12/6/2010 at 01:25

In order for you to get to Chumphon before evening you'll have to catch the 08:05 train. After that you will have to wait until around 1:00 pm before the next one leaves, and then there are several through the rest of the day.

You can certainly buy train tickets on the day you want to travel. You may not have much choice when it comes to seating, and will probably be put into 3rd class, but you'll get to where you want to go.

According to the State Railway's site it is a 6 hour trip ... this is purely theoretical. It's probably more likely to be around 7 hours or a bit more.

There are also 7 or 8 buses each day from the Southern Bus Terminal, Sai Tai Taling Chan. If you aren't going to make the train, you might consider taking a bus.

When you arrive you might be able to get a ticket for the 22:50 sleeper train. That will get you into Chumphon at around 6:00 am and you'll be able to get horizontal. You'll have to hang around Bangkok all day, though.

Good luck.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,498
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by SBE on 12/6/2010 at 02:51

Sorry Tilaipa, disagree with you about the trains. .

The 22.50 isn't a sleeper, seats only, and if you're planning to catch the ferry to Ko Tao you won't make it if you take that train. It too will arrive an hour or so later than scheduled, too late to catch the ferries for Ko Tao.

The sleeper train leaves at 19.30 and that's also the one you have to get catch to get to Chumphon in time for the ferries to Ko Tao. Ignore the official arrival time of 03.47 in Chumphon, it's usually more like 5am, sometimes even later. Transport to the piers is included in the price of the boat ticket which you can buy on the platform when you arrive if you want.

Here are the train timetables

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Southern%20Thailand

You can book online. I just checked and there are even some sleeper berths still available on the 19th if you want. Here's the link. If it comes up in Thai there's an English language option at the top of the page on the right.

http://www.thairailwayticket.com/

#3 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,019
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by Tilapia on 12/6/2010 at 09:53

Ah ... so it isn't.

#4 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,498
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.