Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

things to do around surat thani

Posted by judeela on 12/6/2010 at 12:38

I will be in Thailand for July with my kids (9 and 12). We'd origionally planned to spend some time in Ko Tao, but we just found out that my brother will be flying in to Phuket to hang out a bit. We may have a few days to kill before he arrives. Any suggestions on a quiet beach, cheap (US 25 for a room), where we can do a bit of snorkeling? I don't want to go too far out of our way- taking the overnight train to Surat Thani then eventually making our way to Phuket. I know it's the rainy season in the Andaman Sea . . . Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

#1 judeela has been a member since 12/6/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by exacto on 22/6/2010 at 11:11

With the kids in tow, I might just head straight over to Phuket . A few spots that I've enjoyed in the past are the beaches of Krabi, Phang Nga town, and Khao Lak, along the Andaman Sea coast about 60 km or so north of the Phuket airport. Any of those locations should make for a quick and easy bus or ferry boat trip over to Phuket. A trip through Phang Nga bay should also be a real treat and there are some good and relatively inexpensive islands besides Phi Phi right near Phuket that are worth a look as well. Hope that helps. Cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,686
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by rachelle23 on 25/6/2010 at 11:30

I heard Surat is pretty boring. Instead visit khao sok and khanom though which are nearby the place.

#3 rachelle23 has been a member since 8/6/2010. Posts: 20
 Send rachelle23 a private message   Twitter 

Posted by judeela on 25/6/2010 at 19:06

Thanks for the ideas! I think we may go to Khao Sok for a little different scenery a few days. For some reason, a chance of rain in a rain forest seems less frustrating than a chance of rain on a beach!

#4 judeela has been a member since 12/6/2010. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.