Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Getting medicine in Bangkok?

Posted by lampostx on 3/11/2006 at 09:51

hi there, I just came back from the travel clinic in Vancouver, Canada, and was given some prescriptions, including an antibiotic called "azithromycin", which is used to treat severe Traveller's Diarrhea. Question is, is this easy to get in Bangkok? It costs quite a bit to buy in Canada and I was hoping to buy it in Bangkok, along with my doxycycline for malaria.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Fionna

#1 lampostx has been a member since 25/10/2006. Posts: 16

Posted by exacto on 3/11/2006 at 10:24

i can't speak to these specific drugs, but i've never had a problem buying whatever i needed from a pharmacy/chemist in thailand, with or without a prescription. i've been surprised at what is available at even in small towns.

having said that, a little prevention is worth a lot of cure, so use common sense about what you eat and drink, and hopefully you won't need the anti-diarrheals. we recently returned from a 2-month trip to thailand, laos, and cambodia, and neither my wife nor i had a single problem (it was her first trip to asia).

on the anti-malarials, lots of folks take them, so do what makes you comfortable, but i've never taken them and don't recommend them. use lots of bug spray, cover up (particularly at dawn and dusk), and wear light colored clothes, etc. have a good trip.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.