Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Shopping in Bangkok

Posted by amlifysio on 21/6/2010 at 00:40

My family and I are going to Vietnam this summer. On our way back we have a few days in Bangkok. Having been there several times before, we do know a bit about the shopping opportunities. Formerly we have been a lot to MBK, but this time we would like to try a different place/s. Any suggestions?? My daughters, aged 15, 13 and 10, are mostly into "jeans and clothes in general"-shopping.We will be staying at the Prince Palace Hotel (Bo Be area).

#1 amlifysio has been a member since 2/5/2010. Posts: 5

Posted by SBE on 21/6/2010 at 05:25

Platinum Fashion Mall might suit them. It's on Petchaburi Road, near Panthip Plaza and opposite Pratunum. About 1000 small shops entirely devoted to clothes, shoes and fashion accessories.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by shaydan_01 on 21/6/2010 at 13:25

If you would like to get out of the shopping mall scene and making your shopping a little bit more of an experience I'd highly recommend a visit to the Chatuchak market. It is basically a huge labyrinthine of around 15,000 stalls and sells every single clothing item you could imagine plus everything else. Clothes there were of the same quality as everywhere else (except obviously for the expensive department stores). It is packed full of people and can be quite hot and crazy but we found it to be extremely fun and I'm sure you're kids will love it. It can be reached by catching the sky train to Moh Chit station.

#3 shaydan_01 has been a member since 16/11/2009. Location: Australia. Posts: 80
 Send shaydan_01 a private message 

Posted by amlifysio on 25/6/2010 at 10:32

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thanks a lot to both of you - SBE and shaydan_01. It gave me some ideas of where to spent a reasonable amount of time (!) with the girls. We might just go for both of your suggestions. Is the Chatuchak Market open every day?

#4 amlifysio has been a member since 2/5/2010. Posts: 5

Posted by rachelle23 on 25/6/2010 at 11:18

Most Bangkok shopping centers are now back in action. Sadly, Central World was burned down by protesters.

#5 rachelle23 has been a member since 8/6/2010. Posts: 20
 Send rachelle23 a private message   Twitter 

Posted by wanderingcat on 25/6/2010 at 12:30

Chatuchak market is best on weekends, on weekdays only a few sections are open (think plants is one of them...not what your daughters are looking for). but there's also JJ Mall (open daily) next to it - so you could go there on a weekend & start with the outdoor Chatuchak market first from ~9am (when most stalls open) until it gets too hot, then continue shopping indoors in the airconditioned JJ Mall.

both Pratunam & Bo Bae also have large wholesale clothes markets.

for doing serious shopping research in advance:
will give you an idea of what's available at Platinum & JJ Mall & also the prices.

#6 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Send wanderingcat a private message   Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by husqvarna on 7/7/2010 at 00:25

I also agree with the other posters about Chatuchak mall. Weekends is the only time worth going unless you go inside (refreshing air conditioning). The shopping outside is great fun but you need to have some reliable way to keep track of your daughters. The place is HUGE and very easy to get lost. But that is part of the fun. It definitely heats up after noon so be prepared. Again, the experience is wonderful. Enjoy.

#7 husqvarna has been a member since 7/9/2009. Posts: 47

Posted by sirhalberd on 8/7/2010 at 10:22

If you have the time you could check out shopping on Phetchaburi Road. The soi leading up to the Baiyoke Tower Hotel is full of clothing wholesalers, a regular mini garment center. Many of the street vendors get some of their wares in this area. Up and down Phetchaburi Road you will find many street vendors, small shops and fast food places in this area. One place near the "mini garment center" is the Krung Thong Plaza.

In the same area but on the other side of Phetchaburi Road is the Panthip Plaza. If you or your kids have any interest in electronics, DVD's, computers, parts and programs and this is a place to visit. Also in this mall is a small food court.

Good luck.

#8 sirhalberd has been a member since 30/12/2007. Posts: 295
 Send sirhalberd a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.