Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

food budget

Posted by mrsT on 7/11/2006 at 06:17

Hi everyone,

My husband and I will be in Thailand for 16 days in Dec/Jan and are wondering how much money we should put aside for food. We will be in Bangkok for 4 days, 3 days on Ko Tao, and 9 days on Ko Samui. All the hotels we are staying at include breakfast. So how much is reasonable for dinner and lunch for two? We don't drink very much and plan on eating thai food mostly. Thanks for the suggestions.

#1 mrsT has been a member since 28/9/2006. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 7/11/2006 at 14:02 admin

Hi MrsT,

Here's some samples from my eating over the last few nights -- amounts are total bills, not per person:

Monday night: Rather fancy Vietnamese restaurant for 3 people including a couple of beers, 6 dishes: 1,200B

Sunday night: Open-air Thai restaurant, very local. Two people, way too many beers, 4 dishes: 700B

Saturday night: Sit down restaurant in large department store, two people, no beers, two dishes: 350B

Friday night: Open air, Thai restaurant, popular with tourists and Thais, two people, four dishes a few drinks: 500B

These are Bangkok prices, so more expensive than you'll pay on the islands. Also if you lean towards western food, bills will be higher

Hope that helps!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by exacto on 7/11/2006 at 22:56

mrsT,

we planned on roughly 100B per person per meal during our recent trip. it is easy to eat for less if you like the thai-style "food to order" kinds of places, but easy to spend more too if you go for a splurge at a fancy place. in any case, that 100B per person should get you each a main dish and possibly even a drink or appetizer. if you share a big beer, it won't add all that much to your bill. i hope that helps. happy eating.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,686
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by wolfman on 8/11/2006 at 16:52

like everywhere-it´s the booze adding bahts to your bill. a big chang goes for-at least 40b. in cheapies and a 100b. or 120b. in more daring places

hth

#4 wolfman has been a member since 31/5/2006. Posts: 80

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.