Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Surat Thani airport to Ferry Pier

Posted by trixieb on 9/11/2006 at 09:39

I'm just wondering how I could get from surat thani airport to the pier. from the research i've done, and seeing how I wanna get to Phangan, I guess I'll have to get to Donsak pier.

My flight gets into Surat Thani at about 11.30am. Is the only way to the pier a bus? And is there any way I can find out the timings online?

I understand that there are hourly ferry departures from donsak to phangan. Trying to get to Phangan before sundown cos I'm travelling alone.

Thanks for the help!

#1 trixieb has been a member since 8/11/2006. Posts: 3

Posted by exacto on 9/11/2006 at 11:25

trixieb,

when we were there in july, we took the air asia flight from bangkok to surat thani. good flight. at the airport in surat there was a counter immediately to the right as you came out of the baggage claim area that sold combo bus/ferry tickets to both samui and phangan. if i remember, the cost was something like 400B for the combo ticket to phangan (sorry, but we went to samui so i don't exactly remember the price). it seems like you could buy just a ticket to the pier, but there wasn't a price break/advantage to do that.

on the day we went, we all loaded into one bus, and then the people going to phangan changed to a different bus once we arrived in town. it was off season then, so perhaps you'll have direct service or more options this time of year.

hopefully someone else has gone more recently and can give more up-to-date info. in any case, it was pretty straight-forward and easy to arrange (albeit a bit pricey all things considered). they pretty much waited for everyone to buy their service before departing the airport.

i can't say how long the folks had to wait to board a ferry to phangan, but the samui-bound travellers pretty much got right on the ferry once the bus arrived at the pier.

one last thing. our luggage was loaded into a room/compartment on the bus to the ferry. sometime during the trip, we saw a guy get out of that compartment and leave the bus with a small bag over his shoulder. there was no other reason for this person to be in the baggage compartment than to be going through people's baggage, so be even more careful than usual about leaving anything valuable/can't live with in your bags on the bus trip.

i hope that helps. cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,649
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by ryanlai on 9/2/2012 at 08:21

can you remember how long does it take from air port to the ferry piers? thanks alot.

#3 ryanlai has been a member since 9/2/2012. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.