Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Prachuap Khiri Khan or Nakhon Si Thammarat?

Posted by banana8 on 27/7/2010 at 05:43

Hello,

I'm planning on travelling south after Bangkok - Kanchanaburi, with the ultimate aim of getting to Krabi. I know thats a long journey so was going to break it up with a stop-over on the way. I'm not sure if Prachuap Khiri Khan or Nakhon Si Thammarat is the best option. From what i've read i'm veering towards NSK as it seems a bit less touristy and generally nicer than PKK. If anyone has been to both and has any advice I would be very grateful to hear it!

Thanks

#1 banana8 has been a member since 27/7/2010. Posts: 10

Posted by swag on 27/7/2010 at 05:54

Hi can't comment on NST but spent a few days in PKK Feb 2009 and we really enjoyed it. Very few tourists clean provincial town with a predominately chinese thai influence all just going about there business.Had some great seafood lunches across the road from the beach and virtually had the beach to ourselves. We would definitely stop off there again. Plus the accommodation was great value.
any questions ask away

#2 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 331

Posted by Thaiman on 27/7/2010 at 10:14

Was in Prachuap a few years back and from what I recall it was very quiet with no tourists.Good place to sit back and just watch things go by.One thing I remember about it is the shrine[don't think it was a temple]on top of the steep hill not far from the centre of town.Went up there to have a look and the place was crawling with monkeys and monkey crap everywhere.And the stink...But that's Thailand.

#3 Thaiman has been a member since 12/11/2008. Posts: 201

Posted by fondo on 27/7/2010 at 10:36

PKK town too touristy? That's new.

Anyway, PKK is pretty much as swag says, and probably a bit easier than Krabi via NST.

NST province has some great beaches, but NST town I can't tell you anything about.

Another possibility similar to PKK is Chumphon. I like them both.

#4 fondo has been a member since 23/6/2006. Posts: 172
 Where has fondo been? 

Posted by Nokka on 27/7/2010 at 16:55

I spent a few days in PKK earlier this year and really liked it. One or two tourists, but not many; I hope it stays that way.

Some nice places to eat along the seafront, plus quite a big market in town. There's just has a nice Thai feeling to the place. The beach is a short tuk tuk or bike ride away, in the middle of a Thai Airforce base. You have to sign in as you go in, with possibly the world's worst security, but that kind of adds to the charm. When we were there, there were quite a lot of Thais at the beach, but very few westerners. The food at the food court over the road was good and really cheap.

We caught a bus to Krabi from PKK. You have to buy the tickets beforehand and then get up to the main road just inland. Our bus came thundering down from BKK at about 12 midnight. Got into Krabi about 6, I think.

#5 Nokka has been a member since 6/4/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 259

Posted by banana8 on 28/7/2010 at 03:44

Thanks everyone! Thats all very helpful stuff. Not sure why I thought PPK was touristy, I may have got it mixed up with somewhere else. I apologise! It sounds very nice.

#6 banana8 has been a member since 27/7/2010. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.