I'm in Thailand 22 Sept to 6 Oct for a laid-back, care-free holiday alone. Corrections and suggestions would be much appreciated!
My plan is:
1. Spend 23-27 Sept in Chiang Mai /
2. Fly to Phucket on 28, spend 1 nite there (I'm thinking Phucket Town, as the LP map puts it near the pier? Correct me if I'm wrong plz)/
3. Take a ferry to Ko Phi Phi (is there such a ferry service at the time I'm traveling?), spend 2 nites there/
4. Somehow I hope to make it to Ao Nang from Ko Phi Phi, where I look to spend 2 nites in Beach Railay, followed by a one day trip to Ko Tub. Back from the trip and 1 nite in Krabi town, before flying back to BKK on 3 Oct.
5. Directly to Ayuthaya from BKK by bus, and spend 2 nites there.
6. Back to BKK on 5 Oct. Leave Thailand the next day.
My concerns r:
1. Am I swollowing more than I can chew? I've never backpacked by myself before, BTW.
2. Is the Phucket-Phiphi-Railay hop feasible with convenient transport?
3. I chose to stop at Phucket purely because Airasia runs a cheap flight from Chiang Mai to Phucket, and have no intention to explore the island per se. Should I skip Phucket and just go directly to Krabi? Is it easier to access Ko Phi Phi from there?
4. For my 3n4d stay in Chiang Mai, any suggestion on what to do apart from elephant riding and trekking?
Many, many thx in advance=)
#1 liminality has been a member since 6/8/2010. Posts: 3
Welcome to Travelfish liminality,
1st question: when you arrive, are you flying into Chiang Mai? I ask because if you're not, then it makes more sense to fly into Bangkok go to Ayutthaya on the way to Chiang Mai.
Weather: you'll be getting some rain on both coasts that time of year, so keep that in mind.
In answer to your questions:
1) It is a pretty busy itinerary.
2) There are multiple boats from Phuket to Ko Phi Phi daily and there are boats from Ko Phi Phi to Ao Nang but they are less frequent.
3) I'd fly to Krabi (or just get an overnight bus)
4) No -- get a foot massage. Put your feet up. eat a lot and take it easy!
Ok, maybe go up to Doi Suthep for sunset...
#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,764
Send somtam2000 a private message Where has somtam2000 been? Website Twitter Facebook Flickr Google+ Instagram Pinterest
Thx man, i think i'll leave out Phucket and move Ayuthaya up between BKK and Chiang Mai, which means i'll probably take a North-bound train from Ayuthaya.
It's interesting how Chinese people can make a holiday busier than workdays - my buddy's 10-day itinerary in Thailand last yr runs 5 full pages, and he only went north.
#4 liminality has been a member since 6/8/2010. Posts: 3