Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Escaping winter.......

Posted by dave12 on 12/8/2010 at 14:52

My wife and I are retiree and looking for a place to stay for about 2 months during winter time. We read about Koh Lanta where Europeans like to spend their winter there. We are looking forward to go there this winter and would like to get a recommendation for a nice and clean place to stay. The place should be easy to commute around the island and also affortable.

#1 dave12 has been a member since 12/8/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by Nokka on 12/8/2010 at 15:21

There are many places to stay on Ko Lanta and I'm sure you'll find something that suits you. My wife and I stayed on the island for nearly 2 weeks over this last winter (out of 4 months total in South East Asia) and stayed in 3 different places during that time. Each of them gave us slightly different things; one cheap and right on the beach, one a little bit nicer bungalows, but also on the beach, one further from Baan Saladan and a bit more expensive, but also very nice.

Its difficult to say whether any, or indeed none of these places would suit you or are in the price bracket you wish to pay. We enjoyed all 3, but you may like something different.

My suggestion would be to have a place reserved for a few nights when you arrive (does get quite busy in high season), then hire a motorbike and have an explore round the island. You will, I am sure, find places that suit you perfectly. One thing I like about Ko Lanta is that it can be many different kinds of island; it has Baan Saladan and the surrounding area which is very busy (too busy for me to stay near, but fun at night); it has resorts strung along the beaches as you move away from town; and it has places right away from the main areas, quieter and quite different. Spending time in each may be a way to go.

#2 Nokka has been a member since 6/4/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 259
 Send Nokka a private message 

Posted by dave12 on 12/8/2010 at 15:47

Thank you for your advice, we will try that.

#3 dave12 has been a member since 12/8/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by tezza on 15/8/2010 at 16:42

Khlong Nin is a central beach with good access to various places on the island and is big enough to offer a fair range of accommodation places.

#4 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,344

Posted by sharongreen on 20/8/2010 at 23:28

Klong Down Beach is really nice, it is the best in Lanta. There are several small resort that offer long stay with affortable price. We use to stay at Lantavadee, the pink bungalow. Try that.

#5 sharongreen has been a member since 12/8/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by swag on 21/8/2010 at 07:02

You might want to have a look at Freedom Bungalows up the hill from Long Beach. We really enjoyed Koh Lanta and while I stayed down on the beach this place looked great up the hill with great sunset views. They also offer a long term rate which might suit you

#6 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 331
 Send swag a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.