Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

A couple of travel questions around Thailand

Posted by danoleary on 21/8/2010 at 19:48

hi me and and my girlfriend are going to thailand for 2 months and i just wanted to know if a couple of journey are do able. we will be going from chang rai to nan which i have found has a bus going between. from nan we would like to go to Sukhothai from nan is there a bus that gos directly there or would we have to go back to chang rai or chang mai and go from there, also from sukhothai we want to go to Trat for the ferry to koh chang.Is there a bus that runs this route or would we have to go via Bangkok. Thanks in advance for your help and this site has helped a lot with are planning Dan

#1 danoleary has been a member since 13/8/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by Tilapia on 22/8/2010 at 01:41

Hi Dan,

Nan is very nice. Good choice.

Yes, you can go from Nan to Sukhothai . You may have to change buses in Phrae, and then again in Phitsanulok . There might be a direct bus, but I'm not sure. I have done this trip in the past and always had to change buses in those two places.

To get to Trat , the easiest and fastest way will be to go to Bangkok first (perhaps on the night train from Phitsanulok), and then to Trat by bus from the Eastern Bus Terminal (Ekamai).

If you take a night train from Phitsanulok, you will be able to get a bus to Trat in the morning and, if things go smoothly, will probably be sitting on the beach by dinnertime, or sooner.

Another option would be to take a daytime bus from Sukhothai or Phitsanulok to Morchit (Bangkok's Northern Bus Terminal) where you can catch a bus to Trat without having to go to the Eastern Bus Terminal. You may arrive in Trat sometime near dark, but you can stay in Trat for the night. It's a great little town that's worth staying at least one night in.

Enjoy.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,495
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by wanderingcat on 22/8/2010 at 07:44

for Chiangrai-Nan, there are 2 bus routes: (1) via Phayao town (faster), & (2) via Thoeng, Chiang Kham & Phu Langka (slower, more mountainous).

not sure how much time you have for Nan + your interests, but i like the small towns & villages north of Nan city e.g. Pua, Ban Nong Bua, Chiang Klang. enjoyed lots walking through the residential areas & farms while finding our way to the Tai Lue-style temples there. Nan culturally very rich, but without the crowds of Chiangmai.

#3 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.