Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Kite Flying

Posted by husqvarna on 23/8/2010 at 14:21

I will be in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Kanchanaburi and Ko Samet in a few months. Does anyone have suggestions of good places to fly kites in these areas. Any local kite groups? Thanks

#1 husqvarna has been a member since 7/9/2009. Posts: 47

Posted by Tilapia on 23/8/2010 at 18:56

I often see people flying kites at Sanam Luang, the big park across the road from Wat Phra Kaew and the National Museum, near Khao San Road.

I use the term "park" loosely. Sometimes it is grass-covered, sometimes it's nothing but packed dirt. Either way, it's probably one of the largest open areas in that part of town.

No idea about kite groups.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 25/8/2010 at 01:24

The kind of wind required for good flying is rare at inland areas so I'd look more to Ko Samet or other islands and sea coast. I have three stunt kites which have been grounded here in Chiang Mai for too long, but when I get down to the southern beaches, yee haw. Kite season for most Thais is more like June where indeed Sanam Luang in Bangkok is a good bet. Very hard to buy good quality kites here though, as it's mostly kids with cheapo butterfly-shaped one-string deal which you often see sold on stalls next to the highways that time of year.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by khunwilko on 25/8/2010 at 10:42

Kite boarding is very popular along the Eastern Seaboard - plenty of wind there.

be careful asking about kites the Thai word is "Wow" - and "flying a kite" ("chak wow") has a different meaning and could lead yo into a very embarrassing situation!

#4 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.