Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thailand tourist visa

Posted by thaikc7461 on 2/9/2010 at 18:30

So....I am a little confused about what to do traveling Thailand on a 30 day free tourist visa. I am currently teaching here in Thailand but my Non-immigrant B visa expires along with my work permit on October I was going to make a trip to Cambodia and fly back into Bangkok so I could get a 30 day free tourist visa. Once I have this I allowed to leave the country again and re enter before the 30 days is up? After coming back into Thailand from Cambodia, I will leave the country again to travel to Laos and VIetnam...and then come back into Thailand to fly home. Once I leave Thailand on my 30 day tourist visa and then come back in, do I get another free 30 day visa? or do i have to get a multi entry tourist visa the first time and pay?
So basically I just want to know if I can leave and come back into THailand on a 30 day tourist visa and if I get a new 30 day visa once I re enter.

Thanks to anyone who can help...I hope this post isn't confusing!

#1 thaikc7461 has been a member since 2/9/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by svendj on 2/9/2010 at 21:01

If you want to go out and come back in (like you said to go to Cambodia) you need a multiple entry. you can just go to the immigration office (they are all around Thailand and a few more in BKK) and just ask for a re-entry on your regular free tourist visa, that'll cost you about 900-1000 baht (1600 if they rip you off). With this you can go to Cambodia(if you have your visa for that) and come back at the border and just finish the rest of your free visa (you don't get a new visa cause you have your re-entry), but sometimes it's easier to get the new 15 days visa at the border and then extend it again (Though even better is just to get a new Thai visa in Cambodia if you plan to come back by land so you get a 30 day as well and if you're planning to stay longer just get a 90 days in Cambodia so you don't have to bother about anything).

I use my re-entry visa for Thailand only when I have a visa for 3 months or more (just to visit some friends in Laos most of the time and come back after a few days), otherwise it's just border hopping and come back with a 30 days again.

You do get a 30 day free visa again if you re-enter by plane via BKK.

#2 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Send svendj a private message   Where has svendj been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by thaikc7461 on 3/9/2010 at 08:48

Okay, Thank you!

Do you know if I can simply go to the immigration office and try to get an extended visa without leaving the country? My work permit and visa expire on the 15th...but do you think if I explained to immigration I want to stay and travel they would give me a tourist visa? I really do not want to have to leave the country before the 15th.

#3 thaikc7461 has been a member since 2/9/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by Captain_Bob on 3/9/2010 at 12:26

You're making this way more complicated than it needs to be. When your non-imm-b visa runs out and you go to Cambodia, you're back to square-1 like most tourists. If you fly back into Thailand without a visa they'll give you a 30-day visa exemption (or 15 days if you re-enter Thailand by land border). If you again leave Thailand that visa exemption becomes expired (again back to square-1). Then after Laos etc. you return to Thailand you get another visa exemption, again 30 days by air 15 days by land. There is no reason to visit Immigration offices, extend anything, or pay money. Just get a new stamp upon each re-entry. And FYI you can not get a proper tourist visa at the border or inside Thailand - only at Thai embassies and cosulates abroad.

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,950

Posted by chriswotton on 4/9/2010 at 00:27

Thank you Bob - you got out exactly what I was thinking...and probably lots of others too! :)

#5 chriswotton has been a member since 7/9/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 99
 Send chriswotton a private message   Where has chriswotton been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by thaikc7461 on 6/9/2010 at 12:48

Okay..So you are saying it is okay to leave Thailand and re enter on a 30 day tourist visa? The 1st one will just expire once I leave and I will get a brand new one on re entry? I also have heard that I need a multiple entry tourist visa if I leave and come back in on a 30 day tourist visa.

#6 thaikc7461 has been a member since 2/9/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by chriswotton on 6/9/2010 at 14:36

If you leave and then come back by air, you can get stamped back in on a brand new 30-day visa exemption, yes - i.e. just a stamp in your passport without the need for an actual visa. As I understand it, they abandoned the old rule about getting a maximum of 3 visa-free entries in a 180-day period, so you can now do this as much as you want provided you keep leaving and returning by air. The same applies if you return overland, but you'll only get 15 days each time.

Not sure why for your purposes you would want a multiple-entry tourist visa. If you are staying for tourism purposes for an extended period then it can be handy to have one - I am on one at the moment and, being out here for two and a half months, it means I only have to leave the country after sixty days rather than after thirty - i.e. just the once (day before yesterday!), rather than twice. If you did want to get a multiple-entry tourist visa, as someone said earlier you'd need to get this from outside Thailand rather than from within - and you'd still be leaving on your Non-Immigrant B anyway. Tourist visas (including multiple entry) are currently free at consulates and embassies worldwide (until 31 March 2011) as part of the Thai government's attempt to boost tourism amidst ongoing political uncertainty.

#7 chriswotton has been a member since 7/9/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 99
 Send chriswotton a private message   Where has chriswotton been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.