Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Itinerary opinions - 6 weeks in Thailand

Posted by rooflee on 5/9/2010 at 03:27

Hi there,

I would really appreciate if someone can have a look at my itinerary and pin point routes that could be done easier or better. We'll be arriving in bangkok on the 12th November. Here we go!

Bangkok - 2 nights
overnight train to Chiang Mai - 3 or 4 nights???
bus to Pai - 5 nights
back to Chiang Mai and overnight train to Ayuthaya
Ayuthaya - 1 night, might consider 2, is it necessary?
back to Bangkok, overnight train to Trang to get to Railay, Krabi. Is that stupid, can I stop anywhere closer to get to Railay?
Railay - 2 nights
ferry to Phi Phi - 3 nights
phuket - 1 night, don't know if i should spend more cause from what I've read it's a bit hectic and we aren't the party people type, just looking to chill and stay in laid back places.
bus it to Koh Lak - 3 nights, how long does the bus take from phuket town? was considering to add an extra 2 days to visit surin islands but I think it would work out to be a bit expensive from koh lak.
bus to surat thani....any clue on how long it takes to get to surat?
surat to ko samui - 1 night
ko phangan - 6 nights
ko tao - 4 nights
overnight train from chumphon to bangkok and bus to Kanchananburi
Kanchananburi - 2 nights
back to Bangkok

Don't know if you're confused enough? I am :)

Thanks in advance.
Ruth

#1 rooflee has been a member since 28/7/2010. Posts: 22

Posted by Captain_Bob on 6/9/2010 at 00:48

" Pai 5 nights", maybe do a sidetrip 2 days to Soppong and stay at Cave Lodge (superb quiet nature spot) http://cavelodge.com. Rent scooters in Pai and ride there (awesome).

Down south I'd say you have too many stops, and be aware inside the lower gulf (Ko Samui/Phangan/Tao) can be very rainy in November and December. Maybe sounds harsh but I would skip the whole Phuket-KhaoLak-SuratThani-Samui-Phangan-Tao plan and focus instead on lower west coast places like Railay, Phi Phi, Ko Lanta, and smaller islands Ko Kradan, Ko Muk, Ko Jum (pick a few not all). Train from Bangkok to Trang is a good way to start this off (closest train station to these islands with good connections).

Get back to Bangkok towards the end and sure Kanchanaburi can make a nice finale (Erawan falls, Hellfire Pass, river tours) just be aware Thai tourism kicks into high gear around the King's Birthday December-5 through January and especially on weekends Kanchanaburi town along the river can get really busy (and noisy with drunken karaoke barges late nights). Or go do a few last beach days on Ko Samet (also heaving on weekends tho).

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by rooflee on 7/9/2010 at 00:18

Thanks for the tips captain. Will consider what you've said and maybe ask some more questions soon :)

Cheers

#3 rooflee has been a member since 28/7/2010. Posts: 22

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.