Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thailand and Vietnam...starting to plan it out.

Posted by molocono on 6/9/2010 at 06:45

So after having to cancel my trip to Thailand back in December 2008, I'm finally ready to hopefully make it out there for 5 weeks starting late January 2011. I would probably head out there alone.
After reading much about Vietnam, I would like to include it in my trip.
In Thailand, I think I could stick to Bangkok and Ko Samui...then hop over to Vietnam.
As far as flying out of the states, I'm looking at either departing from San Diego or JFK...depends where I'm at during that time. I'm guessing my best bet would be to fly to Bangkok.
I just starting to plan things out and I would appreciate any advice.

#1 molocono has been a member since 6/9/2010. Posts: 24

Posted by somtam2000 on 6/9/2010 at 07:35 admin

Yes, Bangkok would be the sensible hub -- and look into cheap flights with a low cost carrier for Bangkok to Hanoi or Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh City .Flights are often very cheap, especially if booked a fair bit in advance.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,643
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 6/9/2010 at 14:57

Regional budget carrier Air Asia flies between Bangkok and Hanoi/HCMC cheap if booked online in advance. Also Jetstar does cheap domestic flights in Vietnam. Don't forget to nip up to northern Thailand for a week or so - good contrast to Thailand's southern beaches and Chiang Mai is a relief after crazy Bangkok.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,911

Posted by molocono on 8/9/2010 at 02:24

Well, originally I was going to do BKK, Chiang Mai , and Ko Samui...but I developed an interest in Vietnam and wanted to squeeze that I thought I'd eliminate Chiang Mai from the itinerary. Is it possible to do all of that in 5 weeks?
Haven't really researched what parts of Vietnam I'd like to visit.

#4 molocono has been a member since 6/9/2010. Posts: 24

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.