Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Bangkok – Nong Khai train question.

Posted by kif on 15/9/2010 at 18:06

Some sites discourage to take the train 69 to Nong Kai from Bangkok the same day as you arrive by plane in Bangkok.
My plane lands at 15.35h and the train departs at 20.00h.

Do I have enough time to catch te train? (with tickets booked in advance and ready at the trainstation)

#1 kif has been a member since 2/7/2010. Posts: 8

Posted by Tilapia on 16/9/2010 at 02:19

Not only would you have time to make it to the station in time to catch your train, you'd also be able to fit in a meal and stock-up on snacks for the trip. Even with heavy traffic, you'll be able to make it to the station with plenty of time to spare.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by exacto on 16/9/2010 at 04:18

yup, assuming your flight isn't 2 hours late or such arriving in Bangkok, you should have plenty of time to make it through customs and immigration and onward to the Hualamphong train station to get your ticket and catch your train. like Tilapia says, you can catch a meal (i'd wait and eat at the train station rather than the airport) and stock up on snacks and water and such.

i think the reason they don't recommend taking the overnight train the day after arriving is because of the jet lag. if you are only making a short hop into thailand, that's one thing. but if you are arriving all the way from europe or north america, you'll just be stacking another 12-14 hours of travel on top of the 14-30 you just completed. i love travelling on the trains, but they are never exactly the best night of sleep either.

i'm guessing you intend to get a sleeper berth for this trip right? otherwise i'd say absolutely don't do it if you are planning to get just a regular seat.

nong khai is one of my favorite spots by the way. is it your destination or will you be passing through on your way to somewhere else? cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by kif on 16/9/2010 at 13:43

Thanks for the reassuring!
I'll book tickets for the same day.

#4 kif has been a member since 2/7/2010. Posts: 8

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.