Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Return tickets

Posted by kshepherd on 16/9/2010 at 03:07

Hey all, I am planning to depart to Bankok the first week of october (waiting on passport) I want to stay until December. Should I purchase a one way ticket to Bankok and then try to buy a ticket to Hawaii while in thailand, or should I just purchase that ticket to Hawaii in advance. I am departing from Alaska in a few weeks.

thanks,

ks

#1 kshepherd has been a member since 16/9/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by busylizzy on 16/9/2010 at 03:38

Are you flying back to Alaska after Hawaii? If so, and assuming that you have a fixed term trip (ie Oct - Dec), you might be better of looking at return flights (via Hawaii) before you leave.

One way tickets on international flights (major airlines, at least) are notoriously expensive compared to the price of a return.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by kshepherd on 16/9/2010 at 03:49

No, I'll remain in Hawaii for several months. So, what I'll do then, is buy my one way to thailand, then just make reservations to fly to Honolulu from Bankok before I leave.

I appreciate your response

ks

#3 kshepherd has been a member since 16/9/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by kshepherd on 16/9/2010 at 03:52

before I leave Alaska, I mean. That way I can just show up at the airport in bankok and fly home to Hawaii.

unless there is a better way?

#4 kshepherd has been a member since 16/9/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by Captain_Bob on 16/9/2010 at 15:54

Just to be aware, airline regulations stipulate you should have either a Thai visa in advance or a return/onward flight within 30 days of arrival in Thailand. Or even just any flight within a few months and they'll usually let it slide. So booking the Hawaii flight before your trip is a good idea. December high season expensive, try Korean Air around $900

#5 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by kshepherd on 17/9/2010 at 06:43

Thanks man, I picked up a ticket Korean Air for 900 like you said, including that dumb cancellation insurance. But, fifty bucks to make sure I won't get stuck there due to some uncontrollable circumstance is worth it.

Another question: Is it pretty easy/inexpensive to just hop off the plane, grab a cab into bankok and find a place to stay the first night? I don't want to book in advance incase i suddenly decide to do something different.

#6 kshepherd has been a member since 16/9/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by bdtjones on 17/9/2010 at 08:40

If you have a visa pre-bought does this exempt you from having to have a return flight booked out of the country? And if not what is the best way to get around this? Book a flight that leaves within thirty days and cancel it? I'm asking because i'm planning to start a 6 month SEA trip that starts in Bangkok

#7 bdtjones has been a member since 17/9/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 13

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 21/9/2010 at 15:16

@bdtjones - I was in your exact situation. From Australia at least, you could show a 2 month visa and not have to have a return ticket.

#8 CrankyCarrot has been a member since 24/3/2010. Location: Thailand. Posts: 662
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.