Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Chiang Mai - where to stay for a month? Smith Residence?

Posted by TheNewGuy8 on 26/9/2010 at 23:51

I can't seem to decide. I got some quotes for discounted 1 month rates from Smith Res and Na Inn.

Smith seems very cheap. I can get a room with everything i need for between 8000 and 9000 THB/month. Or for 17000 THB I could go fancy and get a sutie with multiple rooms and a kitchen.

its a little bit outside the old city, i guess. And I dont LOVE the idea of staying in something that feels like a western hotel, but i do need desk/chair, internet, bathtub, fridge, microwave.

Anyone have any experience with it?

#1 TheNewGuy8 has been a member since 8/9/2010. Posts: 35

Posted by exacto on 27/9/2010 at 02:40

hey 8,

i don't have a specific recommendation for you, but we did have a very similar discussion not too long ago. there may be some useful ideas there for you. give it a read at:

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,679
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 27/9/2010 at 16:16

There are plenty of guesthouses in town with monthly rates. I suggest to just get here first, find a centrally located room and poke around for a cheaper weekly/monthly deal. Can usually find a room with bed fridge and hot shower for around 4000-7000/mo. Smith Res is actually in a pretty good location just across from the Chiang Mai Gate market, and Na Inn is also well-located just a block north of my front door. I have crappy 100-200 baht rooms too but sorry no long-term rates.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,911

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.