Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

To book or not to book in advanced...

Posted by husker16 on 21/10/2010 at 08:22

Our plan is to arrive in Bangkok, stay in a hostel there over night, then head to Koh Chang the next day. Should we book in advance (now) or are we safe to just find a place when we arrive? We're looking into places in the 500b or less range.

#1 husker16 has been a member since 29/9/2010. Posts: 13

Posted by rawjer on 21/10/2010 at 17:15

Unless you are coming during the height of the tourist season (December through February) you are probably fine with just finding a place once you arrive, but there's really not much upside to waiting, at least after you've already bought the plane ticket in. The price is likely to be the same, or maybe even higher, so I think it's worth it just for the peace of mind to lock a place in now so you don't have to stress over it when you arrive, and also you'll know exactly where you are going when you leave the airport.

Find a place that gets good reviews and book it early. If you end up having to go door-to-door looking for a place once you arrive you might end up at some crap place that mostly gets spillover traffic when other places are full.

#2 rawjer has been a member since 20/1/2010. Posts: 104
 Send rawjer a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by sirhalberd on 22/10/2010 at 10:23

When are you coming over? If it is near Christmas or New Years holidays get a room in advance. What is the rush to immediately leave Bangkok anyway? Even in Bangkok you can get a tan!

Who is we? Two guys in separate rooms or a "couple" sharing one bed? There are a few dorms available but if one of you is a male and the other a female a dorm may not be where you want to be. There are some places that you can get with air, hot water, private toilet, TV and maid service startling around 600-800 baht but they don't always have fancy websites. You may have to up your price a little, especially if it is high season! While you are in Bangkok look around and see if there is a place you can get for your final night or two in Bangkok before you fly out.

Here is one hostel you can look over. The advantage of this place is that it is not far from the Skytrain route. The Skytrain can take you to Asoke Skytrain stop for the subway. The subway goes right to the national train station.
Soi 1 Hostel. http://www.soi1guesthouse.com/location.htm

This hotel chain has several small guest houses in the Nana area. These hotels are not far from restaurants, supermarkets, nightlife, street vendors, malls and the Skytrain.
http://www.staywithorchid.com/

Here is another place in a different area, Lub D.
http://www.bangkok.com/lub-d-hotel/rooms.htm

What time will you arrive at the airport? If it is early in the day you might be able to find a place with a walk-in but but I wouldn't chance it during close to the holidays during high season.

Good luck.

#3 sirhalberd has been a member since 30/12/2007. Posts: 295
 Send sirhalberd a private message 

Posted by WimJ on 22/10/2010 at 12:00

I would book your first night in Bkk. It is always nice to have a room after a long flight without having to wander around for too long.

On Koh Chang it is easy to find accommodation for the price that you refer. If you should come around the holidays, then yes you do need to book in advance, otherwise just come down here and shop around!

Did you have any particular beach in mind? Maybe can help you out on this one!

Chockdee Khrup

Wim

#4 WimJ has been a member since 8/9/2010. Location: Thailand. Posts: 2
 Send WimJ a private message   Twitter 

Posted by husker16 on 22/10/2010 at 13:49

Sorry for the vagueness. It is me and my fiance. We are leaving South Korea on Nov. 27th and arrive in Bangkok at 6:00 in the evening on the 27th. We for sure only want to stay one night in Bangkok when we arrive so we will book a room for that for sure. We would like to head down to Koh Chang the next morning. My question really was for booking for Koh Chang. This is what I was thinking. Booking a room at the Sunflower on Koh Chang for a night and enjoy the beach and see how we like it. If it suits us, maybe stay there for a week, then stay in Jungle Way for a week and do some trekking, then head down to Koh Maak, Koh Kood, or one the offshoot islands near Koh Chang for another week. We'll be leaving Thailand on Dec. 20th.

#5 husker16 has been a member since 29/9/2010. Posts: 13

Posted by husun on 29/10/2010 at 15:58

Always make an advanced booking for rooms when you travel. At least you have time to do research for the locations, price and the standard of the hotel. It will more likely to pay less than you walk in a Hotel.

So I recommend and I always did this, to book in advance before traveling to the country. IMHO.

#6 husun has been a member since 28/10/2010. Location: Japan. Posts: 35
 Send husun a private message 

Posted by husker16 on 30/10/2010 at 10:26

I plan on booking. I'm thinking Where Else on Koh Lanta.

#7 husker16 has been a member since 29/9/2010. Posts: 13

Posted by khunwilko on 30/10/2010 at 15:37

KC is rammed over Xmas and New Year - New Year is a major Thai holiday too, so you might want to book in advance.

I would suggest you book at least your first night on KC as you'll find that it is a pain getting to the hotels without your own vehicle - public transport is song-teaws and they are always keen to make extra out of tourists who don't know where they want to go.
You should also be prepared to pay more especially on the islands if you arrive without booking as you may just end up having to take what you can get fro a bed for the night.....and that could be way over-budget.

#8 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Posted by khunwilko on 30/10/2010 at 15:38

KC is rammed over Xmas and New Year - New Year is a major Thai holiday too, so you might want to book in advance.

I would suggest you book at least your first night on KC as you'll find that it is a pain getting to the hotels without your own vehicle - public transport is song-teaws and they are always keen to make extra out of tourists who don't know where they want to go.
You should also be prepared to pay more especially on the islands if you arrive without booking as you may just end up having to take what you can get fro a bed for the night.....and that could be way over-budget.

#9 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.