Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

3 weeks Central+North highlights - please help...

Posted by noakess on 31/10/2010 at 23:48

Hi, I'm starting my 4 weeks trip in Bangkok, already booked few days @ koh phangan and 2 nights in BKK at the end of the trip. I plan to spend first 3 weeks exploring central+north Thailand. Prefer not to fly, take it easy, spend time in places and not rush...
managed to put a list together of placed i'd like to see, can you please help me with the order? is it all too much? def want to spend few days @ Kanchanaburi . Can I skip ayutthaya and head straight to sukhothai ? (not sure how easy onward travel from Kanchanaburi will be...)

Bangkok

Nakhon Pathom

Kanchanaburi (3 day/2 night tour) ?

Sangkhlaburi (?)

Ayutthaya

phitsanulok / transfer to sukhothai

chiang mai

Mae Hong Son (www.cavelodge.com)

Chiang Dao (?)

Chiang Rai (by boat?)

Thank you so much!!

#1 noakess has been a member since 14/2/2010. Posts: 32
 Send noakess a private message 

Posted by Dutchgirl on 1/11/2010 at 04:48

Spend enough time in Chiang Mai, if you want to take it easy, take at least five days. We've been there 4 nights and going back for another 5. It's such a lovely town, and lots to do in and around.
Mae Hong Son area is beautiful, we've had lunch at Cavelodge ( Soppong ) and the food is great. We stayed at Soppong River Inn, and if you're not on a too tight budget I would definitely recommend that. The rooms are the best, so is the staff and the food.

We also been to Kanchanaburi , stayed a night in town, a night at the river at Nam Tok and 3 nights at Jungle Rafts. This area is worth exploring for more than a few days and if we had more time, we would have gone to Sanghklaburi, I think is must be gorgeous out there.

Go to Kanchanaburi by train from Thonburi Station in Bangkok, it's a great journey. We traveled all the way to Nam Tok, and when you get of the train you meet Tip, she offers you the best rooms on the river (but she also has a cheap guesthouse)
From Kanchanaburi you can go everywhere, Bangkok, Ayutthaya, Sukhotai, by minibus or aircon bus. In less than 3 hours you'll be back in Bangkok, we did it and took the plane to our next destination. It all takes time, travelling in Thailand is not fast, but for us travelling is part of the journey.

#2 Dutchgirl has been a member since 20/12/2009. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 52

Posted by husun on 1/11/2010 at 17:51

Noakess,

I can advise you on The North part. You can't simply miss it. If you prefer not to fly, do it this way. Make BKK the central location of your trip.

Buy a night train from BKK to Chiang Mai, upon reaching in CM, it will be a morning.Take a stroll at their local market like Kad Luang (Warorot market), and get a guest house for 1 or 2 hours for refreshment and shower. Waste no more time, hire a car from any city or the Airport. Drive up all the way North. You will hit many nice scene and if you choose the Pai direction, you can stay a night there and continue your trip to Mae Hong Son. You won't regret this sort of travel, it's adventurous. And there are lot's and lot's of place to go in Mae Hong Son. Check out my Northern Thai tour and it might give you a little help. You can contact me via my email if you need more information of NorthernThai. Enjoy!

#3 husun has been a member since 28/10/2010. Location: Japan. Posts: 35
 Send husun a private message 

Posted by husun on 1/11/2010 at 17:52

Forget to paste my Blog's link......... http://sunnyhor.blogspot.com/

#4 husun has been a member since 28/10/2010. Location: Japan. Posts: 35
 Send husun a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.