Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Andaman Island Hopping

Posted by dazedandconfused on 3/11/2010 at 18:04

Iam travelling through Malaysia up to Thailand in a few weeks and considering island hopping from Langkawi in Malyaysia up to Koh Phi Phi. Has anyone any advice or experience on taking this route ?

Many Thanks

#1 dazedandconfused has been a member since 3/11/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by WonderingTsar on 4/11/2010 at 03:07

Hi

I already answered this once, but it didn't seem to get posted, so here's the highlights again:

Default : Tigerline. Book individual Island to Island tickets or a (cheaper) hop-on hop-off ticket for the whole route. SPD do something similar, I think. Neither is super cheap.

There are day-trip (snorkelling) boats from Lanta to Muk/Kradan (and stops between) and back again. If you are in (say) Kradan, you can often pay the captain a few hundred B to catch a lift on the homeward (northbound) leg in the afternoon.

Read Tezza's site if you haven't already

HTH

#2 WonderingTsar has been a member since 28/1/2010. Posts: 31
 Send WonderingTsar a private message 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 4/11/2010 at 12:10

I island-hopped the other direction (Lanta-Lipe-Langkawi) on Tigerline. Great trip, would do it again in a heartbeat. This year they plan to start operating November 26th (according to the website). http://www.tigerlinetravel.com

I would take thier boat as far as Ko Lanta then use the standard ferries to Phi Phi and Phuket.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by tezza on 5/11/2010 at 16:32

I've done Tigerline and the Trang island daytrip boats out of Lanta. They work okay although Tigerline has a bit of a rep for running late and Wally at Paradise Lost on Kradan told me in June they often by-pass his island and drop passengers on Muk instead.
Speedboats also run between Langkawi and Lipe-Lanta calling in at islands on the way - google SPD and Telaga Harbour. Speedboats can be a brutal ride on a bumpy day.

#4 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,345
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.