Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thailand Islands in January 2010

Posted by missmay on 15/11/2010 at 05:10

Hi all,

Myself and boyfriend are planning on a three week trip to Thailand. I have been to Thailand twice. I need advice on what island to go to.

This is the start of our Itinerary

Bangkok- 3 nights

Bangkok train to Kanchuburi- 3 nights

Then a train from Ratchaburi to Surat Thani

Then it's the tricky where next....

I'm confused as i'd like to go to Ko Tao or KPN. However I went to KPN in 2008 for Christmas and it rained non stop. Will the rainy season end in Jan? Or would anyone suggested krabi/phuket etc....

It's very confusing. I don't want to book a few bungalows in KPN and realise it's raining etc....I like places with a bohemian atmosphere.

Advise needed

Thanks

#1 missmay has been a member since 15/11/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by guava_girl on 15/11/2010 at 09:57

By January the rain should be over. But weather is always unpredicatble so there is never a 100% guarantee.

#2 guava_girl has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 252

Posted by tezza on 15/11/2010 at 15:55

Statistically early Jan is wetter on the Phangan side than the Andaman - see TRAVELFISH'S excellent interactive weather map.
But it must not be a big deal on average because that is also high season there - you don't get high season when the weather is real wet, witness the Andaman in August when all the northern hemisphere is on holiday and looking for a beach.

Having said that, if you want to play it real safe, the Andaman would be the go in Januaray. Me, I wouldn't worry about heading for Phangan or Tao in January - and I avoid these places Oct thru December.

#3 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,339
 Website 

Posted by caseyprich on 23/11/2010 at 08:13

That's a bit ridiculous, everyone knows the Chinese are busy with Laos and Myanmar right now anyway.

Kunming is going to be connected to Yangon by a high-seed train with construction starting in two-months . . they say a plan to run one down to Vientiane is next - that should slash a nice little path through Northwestern Laos and Xishuanbanna.

#4 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by sonnymav5a on 25/11/2010 at 16:27

Thailand has many islands to choose from. There is Phuket, Koh PhiPhi, Samui, Krabe, Kohtao Etc
Enjoy your Holiday.
http://thailandbadnewsworld.proforums.org/viewtopic.php?p=5#5

#5 sonnymav5a has been a member since 25/11/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by Dilligaf on 27/11/2010 at 11:52

Koh Chang is another option.
You could fly directly from Samui or even fly from BKK or take the 4.5 hr bus ride to Trat then get to the pier and take the 40 minute ferry ride across?
Even though Koh Chang is in the Gulf of Thailand, the weather should be just about perfect there in Jan. Feb/March is typically a guarantee of awesome weather, hence the room charhes at peak rates.

#6 Dilligaf has been a member since 27/11/2010. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.