Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Which side of Phuket to stay on?

Posted by jessicaf on 19/11/2010 at 09:51

Hi,

My boyfriend and I want to use a time share for part of our stay in Thailand on Phuket . I was wondering which side of Phuket is best to stay on.

There is one place that is on Patong Bay. The other is on Cape Panwa on Ao Yan beach. I just dont know which would be better. Since Cape Panwa faces Ko Phi Phi does this make day trips much more accessible? Are there day trips to the islands from the Patong beach area?

I am sure both are beautiful, but any advice would help.

Thanks!

#1 jessicaf has been a member since 25/10/2010. Posts: 11

Posted by tinoh on 19/11/2010 at 14:55

For day trips there is not much difference I think. I believe that both places need a transfer to a harbour to get a boat to another Island. Maybe you can reach a harbour a half hour earlier from one place but that's not a big selling point.
So it depends on choosen between patong and cape panwa. What are you looking for on phuket? Also when are you going there?

#2 tinoh has been a member since 13/2/2010. Posts: 40

Posted by jessicaf on 20/11/2010 at 00:48

Thanks for the info!
we are going in March and want to do as much as we can there. I have heard patong is extremely touristy. is cape panwa completely secluded? we dont want to be jammed with all the other tourists, but want a little night life so do not want to be completely secluded.

#3 jessicaf has been a member since 25/10/2010. Posts: 11

Posted by mikethediver on 28/11/2010 at 04:29

Hi,
Yes Patong is very touristy; wouldn't want to live there but it's a great place to visit!
And yes, Cape Panwa is secluded.
Difficult choice.
The advantage of Patong is that you are closer to other areas, such as Kata, Karon & Rawai.
If you are planning to rent transport, bike or car, then maybe that's not so important but tuk tuks are notoriously overpriced in Phuket (the most expensive in Thailand I believe) so don't count on them for transport around the island.

#4 mikethediver has been a member since 23/3/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 206
 Send mikethediver a private message   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.