Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Travel tip to Siem Reap

Posted by chrigu on 26/11/2010 at 04:52

Hi guys,

I want to go to Siem Reap after my time in Thailand. Which way do you recommend? Bus, plane ...? I know it's difficult because I don't know from where I will start my trip. So this is more a generally question.
Thanks for your help.

#1 chrigu has been a member since 31/10/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by busylizzy on 26/11/2010 at 05:20

It really depends on your budget and how much time you have.

Flights will get you there nice an quick, but are comparatively expensive. I think Bangkok Air has the only direct flight hence they keep the prices high. You would have to fly via KL on Air Asia.

Buses will take a fair bit of time (10-12 hours I think??), and I understand there can be lots of hassle if you don't pick your bus company carefully. People have reported of various problems and so-called 'scams' at the border. Having said that, people have also experienced hassle-free bus trips there as well. The road used to be pretty rough on the Cambodia side but it has improved over the last couple of years.

Search through the forums and you will find a fair bit of discussion on this that will help you decide.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by sidewinder on 26/11/2010 at 22:20

If doing it by one of the Khao San Road buses it will probably take forever.

But if you get the public bus to Aranyaprathet and then share a taxi with some other travellers once over the border (think its about $45-50 for a taxi) it shouldnt take more than about 7 hours for the whole trip

#3 sidewinder has been a member since 11/4/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 57
 Send sidewinder a private message   Twitter   Instagram 

Posted by textibule on 28/11/2010 at 19:34

Then there's this:

Thought that I would try this way out of Bangkok when I'm thre in January.

#4 textibule has been a member since 20/11/2010. Posts: 7

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.