Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thailand - travel ideas

Posted by squire82 on 1/12/2010 at 20:38

I fly out to Thailand on the 28th of Jan and don't fly back until the 20th of Feb (both in and out of Bangkok). Originally I was meant to be doing a GAP tour, but due to dates being changed, it no longer fits in with my flights. So I'm going solo!

I plan on heading to Chang Mai to do some trekking and want to finish off with 6 days or so, on an island where I can learn to dive and unwind. Also thought about maybe doing a crash course in Thai boxing??

I've looked over the itineraries, but would be eager to hear if people have their own recommended tours etc.

As I'll be getting a refund from GAP I'm looking to minimise travel time by flying where possible..

All suggestions are appreciated.

#1 squire82 has been a member since 25/11/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by himji on 1/12/2010 at 20:59

I'm doing EXACTLY the same thing albeit from mid Dec to mid Jan.

My plan is to find a good guesthouse in CM and get some recommendations from the staff and fellow travellers there. Ive got my list of places I'd like to see but I'll fine tune once I'm there and talking to people with local knowledge

#2 himji has been a member since 24/11/2010. Posts: 29

Posted by Thomas922 on 4/12/2010 at 15:58

So you basically have 20 days or so. The 20th is a travel day and you arrive the 29th right.? Take a couple of days on the ground in Bangkok. Its a love it or hate it city with sooooo much to do. I am a Yank so I don't know what GAP is but if you get money great....BUT..travelling by train or bus can be an experience in itself. You can skip a room on the 31st overnight by taking a sleeper car train up to CM. You get to see Thais and other travelers. I always meet someone to chat with and wake up nice n early in CM or wherever. Take 2 days around CM proper and another 2-3 trekking or whatever. Then a short flight to Sukhothai. Check that out for a day or so and then back to Bkk. You could skip over to cambodia for 4 days and check out Angkor Wat. You could still get back to Bkk with 8-10 days left to fly down to one of the beaches. Samui to chill at Lamai or Chaweng and party a lil bit...then over to Koh Pangnan to hit the laid back scene. You can dive on any island. Ko tao being the more poular one on the east side. all of this can be done on the west side too. Go from Phuket to Phi Phi or Lanta. Just some ideas to toss around.

#3 Thomas922 has been a member since 1/7/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 352
 Send Thomas922 a private message   Instagram 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.