Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

In Search of the Perfect Andaman Island

Posted by lilia on 3/12/2010 at 00:14

I am looking for the right place to go and there are so many choices I am dizzy. I am traveling in the high season so I know I need to make a choice soon.

The ideal speed would be mellow, but not without some night life. I want to avoid the frat party on spring break feel, but I would like to dance on the beach a little. Fire dancers would be nice, occasionally as well.

Other pluses would be limestone cliffs, beautiful, swimable, (mostly) uncrowded beaches, coral reefs, yoga, massage, and affordable bungalows.

I need to have reliable internet for work and hot water for sanity, so it can't be too remote. But tourist traps do not make restful holidays for me.

Does anyone have ideas of places that land in the middle? Not Koh Lanta.

#1 lilia has been a member since 2/12/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by Captain_Bob on 3/12/2010 at 00:58

All those requirements (some which are a bit self-contradicting) and in peak season? Tall order! I was going to suggest Lanta but you've already written that one off. Ko Ngai just off the south end of Lanta might do. It doesn't get many "frat kids" because it's a bit above their usual price point (1500-3000 range), and definitely more of a family/couple vibe with a string of resorts down it's east coast. There's great swimming out front of most places, and good coral/snorkeling especially around on the other side of the island. Can also do daytrips to nearby Ko Rok, Ko Muk, and Ko Kradan. Most of the resorts will have some kind of internet connection but I wouldn't count on it being very quick.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by Dilligaf on 3/12/2010 at 05:13

You could stay on Laem Thong Beach at Phi Phi, in a bungalow at say something like the Holiday Inn or Zeavola (if your budget allows)
Not far from all the night life you can handle in tonsai bay (short longtail boat ride)
Laem Thong is a nice secluded beach with several cool beach bars and restaurants.

#3 Dilligaf has been a member since 27/11/2010. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.