I'm from the US and I will most likely go to Thailand this Decemeber '06 - January '07 with a Thai lady friend whom I met here in the US (she was born and raised in Chiang Mai though). I've also been to Thailand myself but during the spring.
I imagine that Christmas/NYE/January are very busy and expensive days to be in Thailand. Luckily we will not need a hotel in CM. However we both would like to go to Krabi area after CM. My questions are:
1) How far in advance would you advise we buy air tickets?
2) How far in advance should we book a hotel/bungalow in Krabi?
3) We both want to go to Krabi area but I'm not so sure I want to go somewhere that is 99% farangs. Where in that area sees a good mix of Thai and farang vacationers? I am already aware that Thais like to go to Hua Hin and Samet but we both want to go to Krabi area like Raileh and Lanta...can anyone suggest a hotel/resort/bungalow area on or by the beach (in Krabi area) that is around 2500 baht tops, a decent place, and not just occupied by Australians and Germans? Does that simply not exist?
I just want to make sure I'm not just thinking about myself and that there's a good mix of Thai locals to go with the onslaught of Europeans.
Any advise would be appreciated...
#1 koan05 has been a member since 8/2/2006. Posts: 1
Welcome to Travelfish!
1) Discount airlines are now flying Bangkok Krabi, so the earlier you book your ticket, the cheaper it will be. I'd be booking as soon as possible if you know exectly when you want to be flying.
2) Depends on where you stay. If you're looking at Raileh Bay, then booking in advance can be a good idea, though bear in mind that Raileh is VERY westernised -- you'll have few to any Thai tourists there.
3) You'll get Ozzies and Germans everywhere you go, so best just to grin and bear it! You've got some very nice spots on Lanta in the price range you mention -- take a look through out Ko Lanta section and see if anything tickles your fancy.
#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,789
Send somtam2000 a private message Where has somtam2000 been? Website Twitter Facebook Flickr Google+ Instagram Pinterest
Koan, I stayed at the Railay Highland Bungalows on Railay East- lovely lovely lovely - 700 baht. Nice, big bungalows with en-suite bathroom. I can't remember if there was hot water, tho - I have a suspicion there wasn't - but it was too warm to worry in February.
It's quiet, and surrounded by the hills/rocks, and away from Railay West, which is not only 99% farang, but seemingly 99% blond/e.
see my blog for more
The beach on Railay East is a mangrove swamp, but it's only a five or ten minute walk to the other beaches.
Railay Divers does a snorkelling day-trip for 800 baht (it will be a little more by next year). This is worth it - they take you to a whole load of sites in the afternoon, when nobody else is there. And you go and watch the bat migration from a closeby island to Krabi. Awesome.
If you want nearly zero farang, go to Koh Yao Yai - a short ferry from Phuket. It's one of a couple of Muslim islands - no alcohol=no tourists.
#3 totallygone has been a member since 6/5/2006. Posts: 6