Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

teaching english in loas

Posted by kimmistaus on 11/12/2006 at 16:49

i would really like to teach english in laos to learn more about their culture and language and also help out a bit.
im in thailand at the moment and im so over the whole tourist thing now, i would like to just experience the culture in a "real" way.
im on quite a tight budget at the mo so i cant afford any expensive volunteer programs. is there any other way to go about it? should i just ask around when im there or is there somewhere specific i can go?

any suggestions would be appreciated
thanks
kim

#1 kimmistaus has been a member since 27/10/2006. Posts: 7

Posted by somtam2000 on 11/12/2006 at 22:38 admin

I'd suggest asking around in Vientiane or Luang Prabang, or check www.ajarn.com -- which has loads of info on English teaching in the region

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by exacto on 11/12/2006 at 22:39

when i was in vang vieng in july, there was a sign at the organic cafe there in town inviting people to volunteer to teach english at the school right near the organic farm just outside of town. they were looking for an hour, a day, a month, or whatever folks. i can't say if they are still looking for people, or even if school will be in session when you pass through that way, but at least it is one option you can look into.

in siem reap, cambodia, we encountered a small group of talented brits who were volunteering at a school outside of town. they had made their arrangements well before arriving and were on a multi-month adventure. i imagine just by chatting with folks at guest houses and pubs you'll find someone with a first-hand experience to share. good luck.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,650
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Pencroft86 on 12/12/2006 at 05:26

Have a look at my sons blog www.eggboys.net they are teaching at a school in Laos at present, email him and he'll give you details. No costs involved and the kids are great he says.

#4 Pencroft86 has been a member since 20/11/2006. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.