Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Island or coast 6 days in February Muay Thai

Posted by magdaicez on 11/1/2011 at 04:19

I am looking for a place to relax for 6 nights in February. Great beach, quiet and not touristy with good sea/food withing walking distance. My husband insist on muay thai gym within a car/motorbike range.
We have been to Khao Lak last year and Koh Lanta in 2005. Is there any other place but not crowded so we could stay in February with kids and friends?

#1 magdaicez has been a member since 11/1/2011. Posts: 11

Posted by Krabiman on 11/1/2011 at 07:59

Ao Nang has muay thai gym. Best beaches are west Raily and Phra Nang beach access via short boat trip.

The islands of Ko samet, samui and pha ngan have muay thai gyms and good beaches.

#2 Krabiman has been a member since 2/1/2011. Posts: 223

Posted by tezza on 11/1/2011 at 14:30

One of the nicest beaches I've stayed at the past few years is Had Tien east coast on Phangan - fits all your asks. Has a kick-boxing joint with wonderfully scenic bungalows and restaurant high on the southern headland. Some other real nice places to stay. Check TRAVELFISH'S Had Thian/Had Tien est coast section to get name of kickboxing place and more info.

#3 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,339
 Website 

Posted by magdaicez on 11/1/2011 at 14:33

Thanks for tips!
Won't be the Pha Ngan crowdy between 13 and 19th of February? The Full Moon Party will take place on 19th. Ao Nang seems to be very touristy as well. Should I compromise and forget about quiet place if I want to have access to boxing lessons?
I was happy to be in Khao Lak in November (Bang Niang area) and Koh Lanta (although the beach seems not to be very goods) . This time the beach is priority (but not touristy) and access to the gym, even 20-30 minutes away (by car or motorbike). Can you suggest any particular bungalows/beaches to stay at.?

#4 magdaicez has been a member since 11/1/2011. Posts: 11

Posted by magdaicez on 11/1/2011 at 14:51

Thank you Tezza!! I'll check this out.

#5 magdaicez has been a member since 11/1/2011. Posts: 11

Posted by tezza on 11/1/2011 at 15:19

I reckon Had Thian beach is kinda more off the radar for FMP type people - less chance it will be booked out. The place I statyed at there was BEAM bungalow, a really nice joint with good very good value bungalows about 200m inland from the beach. Don't think it has a website.
Adjacent beach Had Wai Nam is equally as nice but even more laid back and an easy 5 minutes walk over low headland - might be worth checking GOOGLE for WAI NAM HUT its only accommodation.

#6 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,339
 Website 

Posted by magdaicez on 11/1/2011 at 19:18

How about Thong Nai Pan Noi? Longtail Resort with bungalows almost directly at the beach? People are writing only good comments about it as well. Is it very popular beach? Or not to be compared to the one you recommended.

#7 magdaicez has been a member since 11/1/2011. Posts: 11

Posted by Krabiman on 12/1/2011 at 06:25

Ao Nang is only touristy (low key really) along a small section. It's a fairly quiet area. The emerald gym is about 10 mins bike ride from the beach. There's a muay thai stadium there too with night fights every Friday

www.emerald-gym.com/

Thong Nai Pan Noi?

That area is very isolated. The road is still rough and dirt only I think. When it rains it becomes a mess. Nice beach but there isnt much there.

#8 Krabiman has been a member since 2/1/2011. Posts: 223

Posted by magdaicez on 12/1/2011 at 15:17

Thanks Krabiman! Any good accommodation you recommend? Not expensive, but clean and suitable for family with kids.

#9 magdaicez has been a member since 11/1/2011. Posts: 11

Posted by Krabiman on 13/1/2011 at 19:53

http://www.yourkrabi.com has plenty of info incl accommodation.

#10 Krabiman has been a member since 2/1/2011. Posts: 223

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.