Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Lamphu House or Rambuttri Village Inn

Posted by amz155 on 13/12/2006 at 04:43

Trying to decide between Rambuttri Village Inn and Lamphu House. Both seem to get great reviews. Rambuttri has a pool but Lamphu seems to have gotten better reviews. Quoted 570 Baht for Lamphu and 700 Baht for Rambuttri.

Any insight? Suggestions?

#1 amz155 has been a member since 30/8/2006. Posts: 111

Posted by Nomad on 14/12/2006 at 18:04

The Staff at Rambuttri suck.

#2 Nomad has been a member since 10/9/2006. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 14/12/2006 at 23:26 admin

Lamphu consistently gets better feedback than Rambuttri, but the latter does has a pool...

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by KatieMP on 10/7/2009 at 02:03

We stayed in Lamphu for one night, we were supposed to stay for two or three. Our room had ants all over the bed. When we told them they seemed very "put out" to find us a new room, that room right next door also had ants everywhere, all around the bed. So what did they do? They sprayed raid around the bed and ON the bed. We came back an hour later hoping the smell would have disappated but of course it hadn't and there were no other rooms available, of course, because it is in the lonely planet book. They showed no sign of apology, instead they said we had to tell them that minute if we were going to stay or not. Ignoring them we went next door to Rambuttri (9 pm at night) to see if they had a clean room available and sure enough they did! We paid 200 B (for us only a difference of $5) more for the night but it was much cleaner, it was bigger and it had staff that did not give us a hard time. They are located directly next door to each other.

It is a shocker being dropped off in the Ko San Road area especially at night. This was NOT a good first impression of Thailand. To get a better impression and receive less culture shock, head to the Thewet area. There are a series of guest houses there run by the same family. They are located within a 10 minute walk of the pier where you can catch an express boat to places like the Grand Palace and the central pier which has a skytrain station conveniently located right there. There is a great little local market and wonderful hawker stalls in the area. Take a day trip to the Ko San Road area instead and avoid the farangs that embarass the rest of us. Thewet is more popular with the 30 and up crowd and families. Muuuuch better!

#4 KatieMP has been a member since 10/7/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by Sparts on 12/7/2009 at 13:34

I stayed at the Lamphu House only a couple of weeks ago.
It also has a pool.
No problems with any ants, or anything else for that matter.
The staff were top notch, extremely helpful, especially the old dude behind the reception who always seems to be working.
Reassonably priced and close to backpacker central.

#5 Sparts has been a member since 5/6/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 169
 Send Sparts a private message   Where has Sparts been? 

Posted by mysticpaki on 13/7/2009 at 15:53

Hi Sparts
How much did you pay for an aircondition room?
Did you make any booking in advance ill be there end of november
Thanks
You can email me on fate72@hotmail.com
Cheers
Eddie

#6 mysticpaki has been a member since 24/4/2006. Posts: 10

Posted by Sparts on 15/7/2009 at 14:18

Hi MysticPaki

I think we paid around 1400 baht(around 25gbp) for a standard room (I think they all it superior). The prices are less expensive to book in advance via the web, which is what we did. You could also haggle with them a bit, but we didn't bother as we were just glad to have some where to stay on our first few nights.

I would recommend the tree house to anyone.

#7 Sparts has been a member since 5/6/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 169
 Send Sparts a private message   Where has Sparts been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 15/7/2009 at 15:08

"Thewet is more popular with the 30 and up crowd and families. Muuuuch better!"

If you're 30 and up or have a family in tow.

Remember, different strokes for different folks. We aren't all the same. Bruce here likes to walk around Laotian towns, eat Laotian food, "talk" with locals (to the extent that's possible) and just "be" in Laos. For me, this is a nightmare.

I don't get the attraction to that place, he doesn't understand my attraction to Thai cities. That's because we're different people with different tastes.

"It is a shocker being dropped off in the Ko San Road area especially at night. This was NOT a good first impression of Thailand."

But maybe at least a partially accurrate one. Thailand isn't just temples and monks and nature scenes. And Thai people are not just passive, smiling peaceniks.

#8 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by courthag on 6/8/2009 at 23:51

I think your getting Lamphu house and Lamphu tree house confused. They are two different hotels...

#9 courthag has been a member since 5/8/2009. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.