Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Is it possible to do Ang Thong Marine Park without tour groups?!

Posted by petec07 on 3/2/2011 at 02:28

My brother and I are really wanting to find that 'Adventure' experience. We dont want to feel like we are on a package holiday with a load of other tourists!!

We think this Park looks amazing and would love to be able to bring our tents,hiking gear,rent a kayak and just explore the islands on our own staying for more than one nite!!

Does anyone know if this is possible or if its just a dream that will never materialise?!

If its not possible here, has anyone been or know of anywhere we could find this type of experience?

Im sure there are a hell of a lot of people like ourselves who have hoped for this kind adventure, something close to what Leonardo went after in 'The Beach'!

I just hope that Thailand hasnt become too commercialized!!

We will be arriving in bangkok on the 3rd of May and plan to head down towards the East Coast Islands. We have 3months in the region and are trying to figure out the best places to go through the help of the forums and websites. There is some great stuff on here!!!

Im a bit worried that arriving in May we are going to have a lot of rain to deal with if we head to phi phi and the andaman islands. Like most we do enjoy the sun so would like to avoid grey skies as much as possible!!

Any help or ideas would be great,,islands, treks, campsites!? Thanks in advance if you have time to help :-)

#1 petec07 has been a member since 2/2/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by Thomas922 on 3/2/2011 at 17:01

Thailand IS commercialized. That said you will not always feel like you are home but at times you will be sick of westerners. I am saying that because you seem to want that wilderness feeling. You CAN hire a private boat to take you there.

But camping is limited by the government.

#2 Thomas922 has been a member since 1/7/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 352
 Send Thomas922 a private message   Instagram 

Posted by Krabiman on 8/2/2011 at 08:49

May is start of low season but it shouldnt rain too much. Low season tourist numbers are down so it wont be that busy outside a couple of areas.

Phi Phi is busy around the pier area of ton sai but elsewhere not so bad.

Plenty of spots around Krabi that are quiet.

Chang, Maak and Kood are nice spots too away from the crowds but in a totally different

#3 Krabiman has been a member since 2/1/2011. Posts: 223

Posted by MADMAC on 8/2/2011 at 09:30

"Thailand IS commercialized. That said you will not always feel like you are home but at times you will be sick of westerners."

If you pick a destination which is popular with western tourists, guess what? You're going to see a lot of western tourists. Saying "I want to go to Angkor Wat but I don't want to see any tourists" is ludicrous. Thailand's tourist destinations are commercialized, as Thomas points out. But THAILAND is not commercialized. Take you boat and go down the Mekong River (I would advise staying in "resorts" given the nature of vermin in Thailand though) stoping at sites and villages along you way. Go in around Loei and come out around Khemerat. You won't see hardly any westerners except in Nong Khai and maybe NKP and Mukdahan. And those westerners you do see will probably be expats, not tourists. The reason most people don't do this is they want to see the big name sites and they want to go somewhere where English will get them by - and here nobody speaks English so you have to prepare for that.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by Krabiman on 8/2/2011 at 10:23

Agree with Madmac, the mekong area is great. Hardly a westerner in sight. Some thais will speak english but many wont speak more than a few words. Learn a few thai sayings and numbers and you could get by just fine. Don't need a lot of thai.

tao rai? - how much
tee nai? - where
ao - want
mai ao - dont want
chaewp/chop - like
wun nee - today
proong nee - tomorrow
took wun - everyday

those words get used a lot when travelling

then learn the numbers which are easy

#5 Krabiman has been a member since 2/1/2011. Posts: 223

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.