Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

travel between Sangkhlaburi and umphang

Posted by boxee on 7/2/2011 at 18:32

haveing alook around the forums on here and on thornetree , it looks like there is no easy way to get from Sangkhlaburi to umphang , most of this infomation is over 2 years old , does any one know of a easy way to get to umphnag with out going back to bkk or Kanchanaburi first ,

if this was the only way i would have to just go to one of these places , but cannot quite make mind mind up which one would be the best to go to , both look like great places , and both have places and things i would like to do

danny

#1 boxee has been a member since 26/3/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 131

Posted by Captain_Bob on 8/2/2011 at 00:08

The frontier between Kanchanaburi and Tak provinces is one of the most wild and protected areas, and local forestry police have a lot of control over what goes on in there (legal or otherwise). I've asked some of them about getting through and of course they said more or less "no chance". Obviously there are trails but I doubt you'd find anyone to guide you along the route much less make it "easy". By all means if you find out differently please share.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by boxee on 8/2/2011 at 16:55

hello bob

by the look of your profile pic u are a keen motor bike rider , i have just found a webb page about 2 guys who have done this trip on bikes, it gives u detailed account of how they done it with some great pics

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/32166-Sangkhla-Buri-to-Umphang-2-day-ride-through-the-jungle...

danny

#3 boxee has been a member since 26/3/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 131

Posted by Tilapia on 8/2/2011 at 20:49

Hi Danny,

There is a route that will take you to Umphang without going to Kanchanaburi.

Road #3183 off of #323, at Chalae, will take you into Umphang. But I doubt that there is any transportation along it. You might want to ask around Sangkhlaburi and/or Kanchanaburi, or even in Chalae.

That's a great article from GTR.

Good luck.

#4 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,495
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by boxee on 8/2/2011 at 21:30

thanks for the info Tilapia

this was going to be my plan , to ask around sangklaburi , maybe for a private taxi

danny

#5 boxee has been a member since 26/3/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 131

Posted by Captain_Bob on 9/2/2011 at 01:11

That's a great trip report on GTR. Epic ride with a lot of challenges, and a few crashes/bridges/raft crossings/etc. So it appears to be "possible" but you might ask yourself is it worth it, and good luck getting a "private taxi" ;-)

#6 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by jarunsaksri24 on 26/2/2011 at 17:11

please contact me if you want to do this trip. I am local people whose really know how to do this trip. last year we do two days throught to Umphang with 2 of GT rider group.

jarunsaksri1@gmail.com

#7 jarunsaksri24 has been a member since 25/2/2011. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.