Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

getting married in thailand!

Posted by noammaeir on 14/2/2011 at 16:01

Posted from within Vietnam.

hello!
my fiance and i r traveling in thailand and we would like to get married here. i wanted to know if anybody has any information on how we can do something like this, where?what?how much?...
would really appreciate help.
tnx

#1 noammaeir has been a member since 14/2/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by ayesha on 15/2/2011 at 15:43 TF writer

Hi there !

I live on Koh Tao and there is company here that specializes in this...

http://www.afairytaowedding.com/

Ayesha

#2 ayesha has been a member since 12/6/2009. Location: Thailand. Posts: 74
 Send ayesha a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Google+ 

Posted by Krabiman on 16/2/2011 at 06:52

A fairy wedding would involve katoeys :-)

#3 Krabiman has been a member since 2/1/2011. Posts: 223

Posted by somtam2000 on 16/2/2011 at 08:08 admin

Do you "really" want to get married or just have the marriage ceremony?

We were married in Thailand (in Bangkok), we had to register the marriage at the local district office (we did that in Bangrak) takes about an hour and you get a pretty certificate and another bit of paperwork (can't remember what it was called). At that point the marriage is recognised by Thai govt.

We then had to take that to an Oz embassy-sanctioned official translator, who translated both for a fee (from memory that took a couple of days) then we presented that to the embassy who signed off on it, there may have been a fee - can't remember. The marriage was then recognised by the Oz govt.

We had the marriage ceremony about a week later, for this part, while you can use a proper celebrant, it doesn't matter - you can have Mickey Mouse marry you if you want (we had a friend do the deed) and there is no offialdom required.

If you don't want to do all that, easier just to get married in the civil office in your home country but still have a wild party in Thailand!

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Krabiman on 16/2/2011 at 09:41

Easier to just have the civil stuff done before you go then have the honeymoon in thailand.

The media keeps saying modern western weddings cost on average $40,000 but I dont know where they get those numbers from. Must be from wedding planners trying to talk it up.

100 people at $80 pp is $8,000
dress $1000
limo $600
celebrant $500
cake and other stuff $2000

$12,100 tops

If you only had a small wedding and had a normal cake and forgoed the fancy deco you could get married for $5,000.

I'd rather spend $35,000 on the holiday and $5,000 on the wedding.

#5 Krabiman has been a member since 2/1/2011. Posts: 223

Posted by noammaeir on 17/2/2011 at 15:24

thanks for the replies. we know its easier to do all the civil stuff in our home country but that is specifically what we r trying to avoid.
anyways, tnx.

#6 noammaeir has been a member since 14/2/2011. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.