Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Burma Railway

Posted by davidwise on 1/1/2007 at 19:25

Is the site of the railway easy to follow between nam tok and hellfire pass/hintok? i know the rails aren't there any more but is it all totally overgrown/dismantled or can it be easily traced?

#1 davidwise has been a member since 31/12/2006. Posts: 9

Posted by somtam2000 on 2/1/2007 at 08:32 admin

Hi David,

The main stretch that people follow is from the Hellfire Pass Musuem onwards -- there's a stretch immediately after the museum, but you can apparently follow the ballast trail for kilometres from there. In all cases the rails are long gone, but the ballast remains.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by davidwise on 2/1/2007 at 16:03

Hi Somtam,
Thanks, I'm going to try to walk the stretch back from Hellfire pass to Kanchanburi so I'll look for the ballast as you say between hellfire pass and nam tok. i'll post here what i find.

#3 davidwise has been a member since 31/12/2006. Posts: 9

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/1/2007 at 05:56 admin

Hi David,

You may want to contact the museum and see if they can offer any advice, This site has contact details for them. There's also this site, though I'm not sure if it is an official site or just a travel agent masquerading as.

Hope that helps

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.