Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Visa Query

Posted by beyun on 23/3/2011 at 00:41

I am leaving for BKK in one week. When I first bought my flight it was for 28 days, but then I said to myself "What the hell" and extended it by two weeks.

My question is whether or not I will be denied entry because my stay will be longer than the visa-free period. Will it be enough just to apply for an extension during my stay?

Also, has anyone heard how strictly they have been enforcing the cash on hand law?

#1 beyun has been a member since 22/3/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by busylizzy on 23/3/2011 at 02:45

Good on you for extending. More is better, I always say!

Anyhow - you would be best to apply for the 2 month visa before you leave if you can. You would have to take your passport to the Thai embassy (or post it if you had more time...). They are giving out 2 month visas for free at the moment.

If you can't manage that before you go, you won't have a problem with the Thai's letting you in (based on other traveller's experiences) - but your airline may refuse to let you board as they are ultimately responsible for your deportation if the Thai's did happen to refuse you entry. I understand this is more a problem with flights coming from the UK (British Air, I think, in particular - but check out other posts of this nature in the Visa section of this forum).

If you are really worried about it, you could also buy a cheap, 'disposable' ticket to KL or similar - whereever has the cheapest deal.

I don't think that you can extend your visa while still in Thailand. Most people end up having to do a visa run across a border somewhere.

Finally - be aware that is you do a visa run and return into Thailand over land, that you would be issued with a new 14-day visa - so would have to work out your timing. You would get another month if you came back by air.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by Tilapia on 23/3/2011 at 02:57

Hey BusyLizzy, I think that the free visa thing ended on the 11th of this month. Business as usual now. At least, according to the Thai Consulates in Toronto and Ottawa.

#3 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,499
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by busylizzy on 23/3/2011 at 03:03

Oh really?! Oh well, all good things have to come to an end sooner or later, I guess!

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by ryder80 on 23/3/2011 at 07:05

hi tilapia,

i'm from toronto, and am interested in recieving this extended visa as well... is there a site to confirm if it is too late for us canadians to recieve the extended visa.?

thanks

#5 ryder80 has been a member since 19/12/2010. Posts: 83

Posted by Tilapia on 23/3/2011 at 08:08

Yes, all good things do come to an end, except Nirvana and Heaven from what I've been told. No personal experience with that, though, or from anyone else to the best of my knowledge.

Ryder, depending on how long you plan to be in the area and the route(s) you think you'll cover, it might be a good investment to get a multi-entry visa anyway. If you're only going for a month and don't plan to leave Thailand, then there's no point.

#6 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,499
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Yes, all good things do come to an end, except Nirvana and Heaven from what I've been told. No personal experience with that, though, or from anyone else to the best of my knowledge.

Ryder, depending on how long you plan to be in the area and the route(s) you think you'll cover, it might be a good investment to get a multi-entry visa anyway. If you're only going for a month and don't plan to leave Thailand, then there's no point.

#7 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,499
 Where has Tilapia been? 

#8 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,499
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by Tilapia on 23/3/2011 at 08:09

Whoa! No idea why that posted three times.

#9 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,499
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by Tilapia on 23/3/2011 at 08:10

Somtam, maybe you could dump my last 3 posts (including the two that were repeats of the 4th last)? SVP???

#10 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,499
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 1/4/2011 at 19:17

Somtam et al overhauled the whole site recently. There's a bugs thread somewhere... 'til they work out the kinks we can just pretend like we're talking in a cave-ave-ave...

mai pen rai!

#11 CrankyCarrot has been a member since 24/3/2010. Location: Thailand. Posts: 662
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.