Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Southern Thailand direct to Penang by air?

Posted by Sampan on 3/4/2011 at 12:13

Hi folks,

Does anyone know if there is a direct flight from somewhere in southern Thailand (Phuket, Hat yai) to Penang? I've checked Airasia and they do have a flight listed but it's not possible to book and i can't find it in their timetable either.

Any help is much appreciated :)

Happy trails..

#1 Sampan has been a member since 3/9/2009. Posts: 110

Posted by SBE on 3/4/2011 at 12:38

If it says "this flight is probably fully booked, please try another date" and when you do try other dates, the same message comes up, it usually means they've scrapped the route. If it isn't in their timetable then the route has almost certainly been withdrawn.

They never formally announce route closures on their website, just make a very loud noise when they open new ones!

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,020
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by Sampan on 3/4/2011 at 12:59

Thanks much SBE, I suppose its scrapped then.

However, i just found Firefly (not the most convincing name for an airline?) that seems to have daily flights out of Phuket, cheap fares too. Does anyone have any experience with them, good or bad?

#3 Sampan has been a member since 3/9/2009. Posts: 110

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 3/4/2011 at 13:13

If you go by minivan from Hat Yai, it will cost about $10-$15 US and take around 3-4 hours.

#4 CrankyCarrot has been a member since 24/3/2010. Location: Thailand. Posts: 662
 Website 

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 3/4/2011 at 13:13

If you go by minivan from Hat Yai, it will cost about $10-$15 US and take around 3-4 hours.

#5 CrankyCarrot has been a member since 24/3/2010. Location: Thailand. Posts: 662
 Website 

Posted by SBE on 3/4/2011 at 17:33

I think the problem is going to be getting from Phuket to Had Yai right now rather than crossing the border Cranky! If the road south is indeed impracticable due to flood damage, there's going to be a high demand for flights to both Had Yai and Penang.

Haven't tried Firefly but I expect it's perfectly fine.

#6 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,020
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by idreamofdurian on 3/4/2011 at 19:49 TF writer

I flew FireFly for the first time last weekend. The plane was much smaller than AirAsia, but it was a perfectly comfortable flight and they even gave free refreshments - cake and juice.

#7 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by idreamofdurian on 3/4/2011 at 19:49 TF writer

I flew FireFly for the first time last weekend. The plane was much smaller than AirAsia, but it was a perfectly comfortable flight and they even gave free refreshments - cake and juice.

#8 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 4/4/2011 at 12:50

@SBE - Oh right. I knew that :]~

Don't know Firefly, but I once flew in fear of fire, on 1-2-Go from Bangkok to Phuket.

Thought we were going to crash about fifty times. Airline has a bad rep. Sure is cheap though!

#9 CrankyCarrot has been a member since 24/3/2010. Location: Thailand. Posts: 662
 Website 

Posted by SBE on 4/4/2011 at 16:52

You're cleverer than I am Cranky! I've tried several times but never managed to actually book any flights on the1-2-Go (now called Orient Thai I think) website. It's still one of the crappiest most user-unfriendly airline websites ever...used to be in Thai only too if I remember right.

The difference between it and Air Asia's website probably largely explains why Air Asia grew like mad and 1-2-go didn't! (Air Asia, Nok Air and 1-2-Go all started up at roughly the same time a few years back)

Actually I did check to see if 1-2- Go and Nok Air had Phuket -Had Yai flights yesterday. Nok Air doesn't. 1-2-Go say they do but when you try to book they say no flight available .... so I didn't recommend Sampan to try them too! Firefly sounds like a better bet to me.

#10 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,020
 Where has SBE been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.