Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Jungle Treks Chiang Mai

Posted by carmcla on 7/4/2011 at 06:25

Hey,
I've just being doing some research into doing a trek in Chiang Mai. There are two of us and we want to do a 2 day one night type trek in a group. Anybody have any reccomendations? Would like the trek just to be a typical one, you know, elephant ride, night in a local tribe village and maybe some nice waterfalls/ rafting. Prices seem to vary a lot from what I can see on the web, for basically the same thing. Is the Buddy Tours one good??
Thanks in advance for anyones help! The date is getting close now!
Carmel

#1 carmcla has been a member since 16/3/2011. Posts: 7

Posted by Captain_Bob on 7/4/2011 at 12:59

http://www.chiangmai1.com/buddy/info.shtml
That looks like a typical 2d1n trek for the region. The vast majority of places sell pretty much the same thing, but a few pointers: Check the location of the trek. Better to trek NW of Chiang Mai city i.e. the Mae Taeng area as opposed to SW of the city in the Mae Wang / Sanpatong area which is riddled with daytrippers and conveyer-belt style rafting and elephant rides. Your trekking group of 6-12 people should be the only tourists you encounter during the trek. Book locally! Don't sign up with some agent in Bangkok or on a website. Give yourself a chance to meet the bookie and if possible the guide before signing up. A 2d1n group-based trek should go for around 1200 baht these days and include an overnight stay at a hilltribe village and all meals (but not drinks so keep a couple hundred baht in your pocket and stay hydrated). Bring some good shoes as it's usually a tough uphill walk the first day. Bring flipflops too so your feet and shoes get to breathe during the village stay. Enjoy!

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,902

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.