Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Accommodation for lone traveller in bangkok

Posted by HannahHarris on 28/4/2011 at 05:36

hi
I am coming into Bangkok next week and looking for somewhere to stay for the first couple of nights which is not too pricey but where i can meet some likeminded travellers. I'm late 20s and on a budget but would like somewhere clean and probably with single rooms as opposed to dorms.
Any tips? Tried to search on this for the accommodation reviews but couldn't find them (such a rookie - if anyone could steer me in the right direction i'll do that too!)
Thanks

#1 HannahHarris has been a member since 14/4/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by busylizzy on 28/4/2011 at 07:36

I can't recommend the sort of place that you are looking for, but went to find the link of Accom reviews for you - but it's not there?!

If you go to this page: https://www.travelfish.org/location/thailand/bangkok_and_surrounds/bangkok/bangkok
there would normally be a button at the top (next to Transport, Sites, etc) - but it's not there!
I'm wondering if it's because in BKK there are just TOO many options for the TF reviewers to keep up with...?

Perhaps generate the free eFish guide from the Member Centre area (after you login) for Bangkok. You might find something in there.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by goonistik on 28/4/2011 at 08:38

Hi!

You don't mention a budget. There are two places that I can find that offer rooms for a single traveler.

http://www.refillnow.co.th/
http://www.phranakorn-nornlen.com/

I'm pretty sure there are more choices.

Try looking here
https://www.travelfish.org/feature/137

#3 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 563
 Send goonistik a private message   Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by tinoh on 28/4/2011 at 13:38

Hi,

You might like the rambuttri village inn:
https://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/thailand/bangkok_and_surrounds/bangkok/khao_san_road/all/846
This hotel is near KS road and there you will find lots of likeminded travellers.
There is a nice pool on the roof.

Greetings Tino

#4 tinoh has been a member since 13/2/2010. Posts: 40

Posted by Thomas922 on 28/4/2011 at 14:22

Suk 11 has singles but its not Khao Sarn rd. It IS near the skytrain though.

#5 Thomas922 has been a member since 1/7/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 352
 Send Thomas922 a private message   Instagram 

Posted by 9preciousGems on 28/4/2011 at 18:38

i would also recommend the the rambuttri village inn - dont mind the moody receptionist - she;s lovely really!
althoguh there is no restuarant here so may not be to great for meeting poeple

#6 9preciousGems has been a member since 13/1/2011. Posts: 82

Posted by HannahHarris on 30/4/2011 at 23:22

Thanks all for your help - i'm definitely on a budget but willing to pay for a clean, safe room :)
Do you think dorm rooms will be full of younger backpackers? That's what's putting me off at the moment.

#7 HannahHarris has been a member since 14/4/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by MADMAC on 1/5/2011 at 12:59

"...which is not too pricey but where i can meet some likeminded travellers."

That depends on how you define "like-minded".

#8 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by sayadian on 1/5/2011 at 13:44

When I was last in Bangok 8 weeks ago I visited a friend staying at Nat 2 which is easy to find as it is opposite the old Post Office in Banglumphoo behind the unmissable Ratchdamnoen Avenue and near Khaosan road but far enough away to get some sleep.I saw a room out of curiousity, looked OK for 200 baht.Clean and tidy.

#9 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Posted by MADMAC on 1/5/2011 at 13:49

Man tyhat's a great deal! 200 baht?

#10 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by sayadian on 1/5/2011 at 14:02

Madmac
I'm pretty sure it was 200 baht because a lot of the 'doss' houses nearby charge that and I remember discussing it with people.
I didn't stay there mind you.Maybe the receptionist got her numbers wrong.
It does sound cheap.
OK, I'll check it out.Will be in Bangkok wednesday.

#11 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by MADMAC on 1/5/2011 at 14:04

I'm not doubting you man. But what a great deal. Hell, I'd take it up but I have to stay close enough that I can walk to the dance scene. And that's all in Sukhimvite.

#12 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by sayadian on 1/5/2011 at 14:04

BTW I can recommend a place for 100 baht.It's clean but when you wake up you'll think you're in prison.Hasn't seen a coat of paint since Rama V was on the throne.

#13 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by sayadian on 1/5/2011 at 14:06

Sukhumwit, is it true that the Rusians have taken over there? got one or two in PP now.The rudest people on earth but I kinda like them, they don't take any s***.

#14 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by HannahHarris on 1/5/2011 at 17:55

Wow thanks everyone for the recommendations - rambuttri looks good but doesn't seem to have any single rooms free. The Nat 2 place sounds good.
Madmac - likeminded as in late 20s so not just going to thailand to party and get a tan but to see a bit more of the place!

#15 HannahHarris has been a member since 14/4/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by sayadian on 1/5/2011 at 20:21

Hannah, most of the 'Old city' and the 'old palace are in that area I mentioned and near the river where you can get a riverbus to see other sites such as Wat Arun.Whatever you do don't miss the chance of a trip on the river bus, the best deal in town and the easiest way to get to Chinatown as well.

#16 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.