Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Northern Thailand in July (3 weeks)

Posted by DrNugu on 1/6/2011 at 22:13

Is it crazy for a guy traveling solo to spend 3 weeks in North Thailand? I've traveled around Thailand in the past with the wife; been to Samui, Koh Phangnan, Phuket, Koh Samet, Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Thai/Cambodia border for Angkor.

Never been north, though. This vacation is kind of a solo escape for me. I'm looking for some outdoor adventure, to make some new friends, enjoy some quiet periods as well as some nightlife. I've been exploring Chiang Mai on the net and it seems wonderful...

...But wonderful enough for three weeks? Should I split things up and go somewhere else as well? If so, where would you recommend?

Cheers.

#1 DrNugu has been a member since 1/6/2011. Posts: 4

Posted by Captain_Bob on 2/6/2011 at 01:04

No one's going to be forcing you to stay the full 3 weeks but at least get up to Chiang Mai for a few days and also make sure to get out of the city. Most of the planned tourist activities are centered around trekking, elephants, hilltribes, and adventure sports. If that's not your thing or you've had your fill then maybe rent a bicycle, scooter, or even a jeep (group-up with fellow travellers) and go to the surrounding hills, up to Doi Suthep temple, out to Huay Tung Tao lake, or further to Doi Inthanon N.P. or for a few days out to Chiang Dao, Pai, Soppong, etc. The hills will be lush and green from the warm rains and groovy thunderstorms, but wet stuff tends to fall quick and hard in the evenings. Give it some time and see if the "vibe" hits you.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by DrNugu on 2/6/2011 at 06:38

Thanks for the advice Captain. :)

#3 DrNugu has been a member since 1/6/2011. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.