Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

First time S.E Asia trip! Visa help and general advice please :)

Posted by shazamuk on 6/6/2011 at 00:13

Hey guys,
Im planning my first trip with my girlfriend round South East Asia for 4months in September. Our proposed itinerary goes something like this....

Arrive in Bangkok, travel up through Thailand for a few weeks eventually arriving at Chiang Khong, cross over into Laos and make our way down crossing into Vietnam then to Cambodia (All in all spending 6weeks or so in the surrounding countries to Thailand) Then fly back into bangkok from Cambodia to spend 2months in the islands and places that i love.
What do you think about the itinerary?

Also, Im unsure of what is the best way to go about Visas when in Thailand as I'll be there for 2 seperate occasions? Im planning to stick to the well trodden backpacker route as much as possible as its my first time travelling.

Any help would be much appreciated

#1 shazamuk has been a member since 5/6/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by DLuek on 6/6/2011 at 02:12 TF writer

Your itinerary is not at all specific, but generally speaking it sounds fine for 4 months. If you want specific advice on how to get to/from specific places then you'll need to be, well, more specific... "make our way down crossing into Vietnam then to Cambodia" could mean a lot of different things.

As for Thailand, you get 30 days visa free when you fly into the country, 15 days free if you enter over land. If you'll be there twice but both times for less than 30 days (assuming you fly in the second time) then you don't need to arrange any visas. If you'll be there on any occasion for longer than 30 days (or longer than 15 if arriving by land) then you'll need to get a tourist visa specifically for that occasion, which is good for 3 months but void once you leave the country, unless you get a multiple entry visa. If you need a visa only for when you re-enter Thailand you could pick it up at the Thai consulate in Phnom Penh relatively easy (it would take a day or two). If you need one before you leave home you'll have to arrange for it in your home country by mailing your passport or bringing it in person to the Thai consulate there, or to a visa service.

Hope that helps.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,177
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by Thomas922 on 11/6/2011 at 15:28

Make sure you pay attention to the weather in SE Asia. you should be OK. Late Nov to December is good for the islands.

#3 Thomas922 has been a member since 1/7/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 352
 Send Thomas922 a private message   Instagram 

Posted by ThailandDiaries on 13/6/2011 at 17:19

Most people we have met regretted spending too much time in neighboring countries and not long enough in Thailand and I agree- Thailand is simply the best!! And its all so different, so I think you are making the right choice here!

#4 ThailandDiaries has been a member since 31/1/2011. Location: Thailand. Posts: 32
 Send ThailandDiaries a private message   Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.