Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Train from surat thani to ratchaburi (ban pong)

Posted by thaitrip11 on 11/6/2011 at 18:19

Hi, I'm travelling through thailand in August and planned to go Bangkok - Koh Phangan - Kanchanaburi. I read that you can get a train/bus combo from surat thani to kanchanaburi (via ban pong) but what I wanted to find out was is it the same train to bangkok, and if so should I buy a return to bangkok or 2 separate single tickets? It seems to be hard to find information online as a lot of websites leave out less major stations and just say when they get to bangkok etc. Any help would be much appreciated - thanks!

#1 thaitrip11 has been a member since 11/6/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by Tilapia on 11/6/2011 at 21:41

Yes, it would be the same train to Bangkok.

I wouldn't bother buying a return ticket unless you're completely dedicated to certain travel dates, but you may want to get one in advance just so you have your sleeping berth reserved before you leave KPG. Also, if you are going to be traveling during a holiday or weekend, it may be a very good idea to get your ticket in advance.

As for the combo ticket, it may be convenient, but it's very easy to get there on your own. You could get off the train in Nakhon Pathom then catch the train to Kanchanaburi, or go by bus if you have to wait a long time for the train. I think the train to K'buri stops at / departs from Nakhon Pathom at around 9:00 am. So if you get your timing right, it could be seamless.

If you tell the ticket seller that you want to go to K'buri from Surat via Nakhon Pathom, they'll get the right train for you and sell you a ticket that will take you straight through, though you won't have any trouble getting onto the train in Nakhon Pathom if you show up without a ticket.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by thaitrip11 on 11/6/2011 at 22:07

Excellent thanks very much for your help!

#3 thaitrip11 has been a member since 11/6/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by Tilapia on 11/6/2011 at 22:20

One more thing. When you go to Hualomphong Station in Bangkok, there is a little booth near the doors on the side of the station that serves as an info stand. There are usually eager, young, English-speaking Thais hollering "Where are you going?" and stuff like that. Most people just walk past them, thinking they are trying to sell something, but they are actually very helpful and have printed versions of timetables for all of the lines ... North, South, East, Northeast. Go and tell them what you want to do. They'll give you a printed timetable and will circle the train(s) you need to catch. You can take this to the ticket booth and then keep it for future reference.

#4 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.