Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

the hidden gems of SE asia

Posted by pzisko on 4/7/2011 at 13:02

hey world,

I'm taking my first trip to SE asia in a few weeks and i was wondering if anyone had a few hidden gems/insight to some of your favorite places. I'm not looking solely for "off the beaten path" but it'd be nice to have a few. Are there any towns you'd highly recommend seeing throughout Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, or Laos that aren't necessarily the standard visit? what about any ecolodges that i could grab for under $25 a night? Is there a national park or specific geological formation/natural wonder that i should make sure to see? what about historical sights? I'm an american and wether it's a subtle guilt or my major in history, i'm immensely interested in historical aspects of Vietnam. Within HCMC is there a good museum or is there a town with a unique history? and finally, throughout the 4 countries listed above, what would you consider to be the best floating market? Quite a few questions, i know. feel free to answer a few or all. i'm eager for all suggestions.

finally. I'm traveling by myself from australia around july 21st ish and will start the journey in Bangkok then head wherever the wind (or suggestions) take me. if anyone's keen to join let me know.

cheers, for the advice!

#1 pzisko has been a member since 2/7/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by MADMAC on 4/7/2011 at 20:37

First, I wouldn't feel any guilt about the war. There's plenty of blame to go around on that one.

Two towns I always recommend that are off the beaten path are Nakhon Phanom and That Phanom . The temple at That Phanom has the oldest Chedi in Thailand. It's a beautiful place. It is a tourist attraction, but pretty much only for Thai tourists.

Nakhon Phanom is an old city (by thai standards). Ho Chi Minh lived there for a few years and his old house (very small) is now a museum. NKP also has some decent nightlife centered around the clock tower. It's right across the river from Tha Khek which is an interesting place as well.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by Tilapia on 4/7/2011 at 23:54

In Thailand ...
- Si Satchanalai
- Sangkhlaburi
- The stretch of Mekong River between Chiang Khan and Nong Khai (gorgeous!)
- Khong Chiam
- Mahachai (Samut Sakhon) and the train going there from Wong Wian Yai Station in Thonburi
- Wat Suthat (in Bangkok) in the evening
- Koh Jum
- Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park
- Trat

- Pakse and the Bolaven Plateau
- Champasak and Wat Phu (bring a book to read ... this area is pretty quiet)

#3 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,505
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by sirhalberd on 6/7/2011 at 11:57

Buddha Park Laos.

Phimai . Around one hour from Korat. On the way to Phimai is the Ban Prasat Archeological Site. In Phimai they claim to have the largest banyan tree in Thailand. You can walk through it.

Flight of the Gibbons:

Plain de Jars Laos.

Good luck.

#4 sirhalberd has been a member since 30/12/2007. Posts: 295
 Send sirhalberd a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.